Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irelands Energy Targets for 2020

Options
  • 30-03-2013 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

Can someone explain to me what are irelands targets in relation to renewable energies, Co2 Emissions and energy efficiency.

Im a bit confused as there has been many different targets set in relation to renewables etc. Could anyone give me a comprehensive breakdown or a link to Irelands energy Targets for 2020.

I have seen the 20,20,20 targets but not too sure whether they apply on just a european level.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Trhiggy83 wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me what are irelands targets in relation to renewable energies, Co2 Emissions and energy efficiency.

Im a bit confused as there has been many different targets set in relation to renewables etc. Could anyone give me a comprehensive breakdown or a link to Irelands energy Targets for 2020.

I have seen the 20,20,20 targets but not too sure whether they apply on just a european level.

The 20/20/20 targets are for the EU to achieve 20% greenhouse gas cuts on 1990 levelse, 20% share of renewables in the energy system and 20% energy savings by 2020.

The targets differ slightly because the ghg and res targets are legally binding and broken down into different levels of effort for each member state. The efficiency target is not legally binding and hadn't been broken down into specific targets for each country.

But Ireland still has a national policy to achieve 20% energy savings by 2020. For renewables, our binding target is 16% share and for ghg, we should cut emissions by 13% compared to 1990 levels.

There are two additional targets. The first is to achieve a 10% share of renewables in transport. This is a sub-target of the overall renewables target. And finally, we have set ourselves the target of 40% share of renewables in electricity by 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Trhiggy83

Cheers for that, i found a good overview on the SEAI website

http://www.seai.ie/Publications/Statistics_Publications/Statistics_FAQ/Energy_Targets_FAQ/

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Trhiggy83

Macha wrote: »
    The 20/20/20 targets are for the EU to achieve 20% greenhouse gas cuts on 1990 levelse, 20% share of renewables in the energy system and 20% energy savings by 2020.

The targets differ slightly because the ghg and res targets are legally binding and broken down into different levels of effort for each member state. The efficiency target is not legally binding and hadn't been broken down into specific targets for each country.

But Ireland still has a national policy to achieve 20% energy savings by 2020. For renewables, our binding target is 16% share and for ghg, we should cut emissions by 13% compared to 1990 levels.

There are two additional targets. The first is to achieve a 10% share of renewables in transport. This is a sub-target of the overall renewables target. And finally, we have set ourselves the target of 40% share of renewables in electricity by 2020.

Still a bit confused about the sub targets as you call them. For example the 10 % share in renewables in transport and 40% share in electricity.. Are these just irish policies not directed by EU legislation ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Trhiggy83 wrote: »
    Still a bit confused about the sub targets as you call them. For example the 10 % share in renewables in transport and 40% share in electricity.. Are these just irish policies not directed by EU legislation ?

The 10% renewables in transport target is mandated by the Renewables Directive, the same EU Directive that mandates the overall 20% renewables target.

The 40% renewables in electricity is a national target, but one that we will have to reach anyway if we have any hope of meeting our 16% share of renewables overall in the energy sector by 2020.

Advertisement