Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Navy Corvette "Le Macha"

Options
  • 29-03-2013 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭

Pictures of my finished model of Irish Navy Corvette "Le Macha" comments appreciated

P1020789_zps7602d589.jpg
    P1020767_zps6ce266b5.jpg
    P1020766_zps8d63ccf5.jpg
    P1020773_zps177c770f.jpg
    P1020774_zpsf5d31e37.jpg
    P1020772_zps431de9b7.jpg
    P1020769_zpsa3f11fd3.jpg
    P1020770_zps807f2d48.jpg
    P1020775_zps520cad04.jpg
    P1020777_zps4cb6decb.jpg
    P1020778_zpse7ce69fb.jpg
    P1020782_zpse14f7def.jpg
    P1020784_zps37858c65.jpg
    P1020789_zps7602d589.jpg
    P1020788_zpsbe947055.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

looks great is this a kit build or self build (if so were did you get the plans). wasnt this originally called HMS Borage??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Its the Revell 1.72 Platinium edition of a Canadian Corvette, I totally changed the model going on pictures of Macha which included extending the hull, making a lattice mast etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Its the Revell 1.72 Platinium edition of a Canadian Corvette, I totally changed the model going on pictures of Macha which included extending the hull, making a lattice mast etc.

1:72 scale looks bigger than that.not a big fan of 1:72 scale myself 1:44 or 1:32 scales would be my favourite.very nice model tried to make the airfix HMS Belfast model before but lost patience with all the small parts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Looks great, are those mines on the aft deck (didn't know the Macha did that)?

The Tricolour on the jackstaff looks massive but that could just be the camera angle.

For some reason Navy Ships fly very large National flags, that flag is the only size I could find the rest were too big or small, yes the "Macha", "Cliona" and "Maeve" had depth charges several Irish Navy crewmen were killed on one of the ships when a depth charge went off on board not sure which ship it was

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭AllthingsCP

Impressive

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

A really great model, well done! A bit more colour on the deck fittings, lifeboat etc. to make them stand out a bit more maybe.

Have you seen this model of the Macha?

http://www.wicklowmaritime.com/2009_along.htm (half way down the page)

Yes saw that model but its nothing like the Macha she had totally different radar masts and liferaft setup, the Macha also had a longer hull to the stern, as for the color she was a Navy ship purchased from the UK in 1946 and the colors are correct for that time, some pics of the real Macha in service with the Irish Navy below they had three Corvetes, Macha, Cliona and Maeve

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Fair enough, but my point was the deck gear needs to stand out more, it's a bit monotone at the moment.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Fair enough, but my point was the deck gear needs to stand out more, it's a bit monotone at the moment.

Its a Naval ship its not supposed to stand out, those are the colors that were on the ship, you cant make a model and put colors that you like on it its not true to the original then.

• Advertisement

It's you're model and your call. But to my eyes, the deck needs more depth; the whaler and liferafts for example are very monotone. The deck vents too unrealistic. A bit of subtle weathering would pick out the detail, make things stand out and look less plastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Chicken1

Outstanding model well done, the attention to detail is excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 19 milanomosher

Very nice model, nice to see the effort made to convert it to a different and very interesting subject. The only issue I see is the thickness of the stem, the stem on the kit is too wide, and if I was building another Flower this would be on my list of things to rectify. Regarding shading and washes etc, I like to give a dark wash over objects, I think it makes the features on what is essentially a plain grey surface "pop-out", for example the funnel, the rope on the life-rafts etc, but that´s my personal preference and might not be to everybody´s taste.

I like the decks, is that wood or printed card? Does it come with the kit?

Well done, and thanks for posting your pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭sporter1

Great pictures.I would also like to know how you done the decking ?

Thanks for the nice comments guys, the model is the new Revell 1.72 Platinium edition, the timber decking is cut out stick down wood it looks great when its done as do all of the photo etched parts especially the railings which are miles ahead of the plastic ones with thread. The finished model is no where like what you get in the box, I totally changed it as it was based on a Canadian Navy Corvette which was different to the one Ireland bought in 1946 they were changed over their times in Ireland as well, so as near as possible to the "Macha" as i can get

I bought mine here: www.idmodels.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1 TRux

Hi, can anyone tell me why the ships draft markings went all the way up to the bow....?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭aman23

Class! well done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 johntreacy1981

Hi Storm10,

I am currently in my last year of study for my PhD, which deals with the operational history of INS vessels 1946-84. Obviously a large bulk of my research concerns the Irish Corvettes. I am also in the process of building my own Revell platinum kit and have been lucky enough to located many different refit blueprints from the Corvette era. Maev was the last vessel to have a major refit carried out between 1959-60. I chose Maev as there are so few detailed photographs of her and wanted the challenge. I have also carried out many oral history interviews with officers and crews from the Corvettes in conjunction with the Naval Association which has been massively helpful in filling in the photographic gaps. Well done on the model, based upon my research I do have a few suggestions.

1. Well done on the lattice mast, this was fitted to Maev in 1953 and the scratchbuild you have done is quite amazing (would love to know the materials you used etc so I can plagerise for my own version ;-)).
    2. The antifouling is a little too scarlet red, Humbrol used to do a Hull Red 177, its not in production anymore but I managed to find some online and also in an old model shop in Ennis, I consequently bought out their stock lol.
    3. You have included the splinter shields aft of the bridgewings, these were removed as unnecessary in 1947 as the risk of shrapnel was not relevent in Irish service.
    4. I would disagree with Tabnabs, based upon all the contemporary photographs your Carley's and whaler are accurate to Irish use.
    5. On our Corvettes, the anchor cable was painted black & white, this was so it was easily discernible how much cable had been played out of the chain locker. Might be a nice touch to include this.
    6. I note that you have included the .50/Lewis mounts on the aft deckhouse, Macha did not use these. She had her armament upgraded in 1960 to the Qf 4" in addition to the Pom Pom and increased her Oerlikon load from 2 to 4. Maev and Cliona retained only 2 of these as they were maintained in a fishery protection role whereas Macha was the primary 'wartime' configuration.
    7. The Bitts on your example are 'Battleship Grey', this is inaccurate as the Macha had her bitts maintained in a matt black.
    8. Staying with the forecastle, The windlass on Macha was also matt black and the she had three 'mushroom' style vents as opposed to a single mushroom and scoop.
    9. On Macha, the three X supports for the bridge/weatherdeck were removed (i think during the 1953 refit which replaced the mast) this was replaced with a single X located centrally on the assembly.

I can send you on photos and documents to back up these if you PM your email, might help if you do wish to modify.

These are truly small differences and does not detract in any way from the excellent example you have created. As I say your two lattice masts are outstanding and I would love to know the materials used, I have been experimenting with some Evergreen stuff but still cant get it quite right. I am hoping to have mine finished by the end of the year as I hope to use the model as the visual centrepiece for my PhD Viva Voce (Oral defence of research) in early 2014.

Well done and if I can be of any help drop me a line.

Best Regards,

John.

Oh by the way, the depth charge incident, it happened on May 29 1962. During an exercise a depth charge went off the stern rail and exploded on contact with the tide. It lifted the stern out of the water and caused a series of ruptures to the oil lines in No. 2 boiler room. The compartment promptly burst into flames and thanks to the quick action of Leading Stoker Bill Myres catastrophe was averted. Bill managed to isolate the feed valves and stem the flow of oil to the fire, sustaining serious burns to his arms in the process. The fire fighting effort became chaotic and the XO Lt. Pat O'Mahony (later Cdr at NHQ) went into the boiler room and fought the fire over the next 40 minutes, which he eventually got under control. Haulbowline had panicked upon first reports and via MRCC, sent the firefighting tug Clonmel to Cliona's aid. Thanks to the efforts of Pat O'Mahony the fire did not spread to Boiler Room No. 1 and Cliona managed to get a head of steam and return under her own power to the Naval Base. Had Cliona foundered it is unlikely that there would have been survivors as there were at least 10 primed depth charges on the deck. Has she sunk the hydrostatic trigger would have ignited all the charges and the resulting concussion would have killed survivors in the water. Both Myres and O'Mahony should have gotten the DSM that day. However no one was killed in the incident and injuries were limited to L/S Myres and Able Stokers Brady and Hennessy. Its is unclear why the charge exploded prematurely, they were all hydro-statically tested that morning before departure, and the evidence was destroyed in the explosion. It could have been a terrible incident but thanks to the actions of the crew, the ship and a swelled party onboard (20 ratings under training, OCNB Cdr. Peter Kavanagh and a party of press representatives, did not experience any more that a shock.

TRux wrote: »
    Hi, can anyone tell me why the ships draft markings went all the way up to the bow....?

I think that is a great question and to be honest I don't have a definitive answer for you TRux. The likely reason is the inherent pitch and roll instability experienced by Flowers (especially early modified design Flowers like ours) in high seas, this requires constant attention to the trim and fuel tanks. From speaking to engineering staff from the Irish Corvettes this task seems to have been of great importance in SOP. Also in a wartime WWII perspective the extra draught marks could prove useful in a Damage Control environment in the event of serious damage to the bow/forecastle region, in the assessment of flooding and list etc.. But these are fairly speculative ideas, I will try and keep an eye out for a better answer for you in the archives.

• Advertisement
Advertisement