Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How grants work?

Options
  • 29-03-2013 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

This is going to sound pretty stupid, so apologies in advance.

I plan to apply for my first grant next year and I'm just wondering how the grant process works.

Do I pay the college the fees upfront and then get refunded by the relevant authority?

Or are the fees just paid on my behalf for me without me having to pay upfront?

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭dmc17

I think it depends on the college. I just have to say I've applied for the grant and they get paid when the grant is processed. SUSI process all new grant applications now.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,932 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It depends on the college and how quick SUSI pay the fees.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭MarkyMark22

It depends on the college and how quick SUSI pay the fees.

I assume with DCU, the college I wish to attend, you have to pay at least 60% before you can officially register?

Is it 60% of the student contribution fee or?

http://www.dcu.ie/finance/fees/payment.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭dmc17

I assume with DCU, the college I wish to attend, you have to pay at least 60% before you can officially register?

Is it 60% of the student contribution fee or?

http://www.dcu.ie/finance/fees/payment.shtml

From reading that link you have to pay the 60% if you're doing a postgrad. If you are going into 1st year of an undergrad you will receive the information on payment with your offer letter.

dmc17 wrote: »
    From reading that link you have to pay the 60% if you're doing a postgrad. If you are going into 1st year of an undergrad you will receive the information on payment with your offer letter.

I'm such an idiot. Thanks for spotting that!

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what the registration policy is in DCU.

I just want to know how much I need to try save up before September!

• Advertisement

I'm such an idiot. Thanks for spotting that!

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what the registration policy is in DCU.

I just want to know how much I need to try save up before September!

You could ring the fees office in DCU and ask?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

You could ring the fees office in DCU and ask?

Yeah I sent them an email, don't expect a reply until after the holidays.

Just wondering how much I'd need to save so I know where I stand.

I, nor my family, would be in a position to just have 2 grand or so handy if it comes to that in September. So I'd like to know in advance.

Thanks!

Yeah I sent them an email, don't expect a reply until after the holidays.

Just wondering how much I'd need to save so I know where I stand.

I, nor my family, would be in a position to just have 2 grand or so handy if it comes to that in September. So I'd like to know in advance.

Thanks!

Generally if you are receiving a grant colleges will wait a bit. Some of them will also accept instalments per semester.

Terry Pratchet

Generally if you are receiving a grant colleges will wait a bit. Some of them will also accept instalments per semester.

Yeah that was my thoughts, but reading through some threads on here it seems DCU are different. Registration is only allowed once you receieve your grant or receieve a definite approval letter for a grant. A provisional grant acceptance doesn't suffice.

And with the whole hassle with SUSI last year, that's kind of worrying.

I guess I'll just start saving. If it doesn't come to that I'll just buy a new laptop with the savings. And if they do require a 60% payment I'll just buy a laptop when I receive the refund.

Thanks for the help! I'll post back when DCU reply just incase someone in the future has the same dilemma.

Advertisement