Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bang and puff of smoke from CRT TV.

Options
  • 29-03-2013 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭

Not quite sure where to put this, but I thought one of you dudes might know dealing with CRTs as you do.

My Everdrive arrived today and I've been playing all day. Next thing there's a bang or pop and a puff of smoke out of the back of my TV, and a smell of solder. The screen went black. I turned everything off and unplugged it.

Any idea what caused this? The TV is great for console gaming on, it's 30 inches 4:3 and stuff looks great on it. I don't really wanna go back to playing on an LCD. Is my TV banjaxed, do you reckon? Are CRTs easy/cheap to repair or would I be better off chucking it and getting another one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Prob cheaper to pick up another one, rather than pay a tv repair man to come out, diagnose it & fix it. Ring around though, you never know :) As for whats wrong with it, it could be any number of things. Just keep it plugged out from now on though, it could be potentially unsafe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

It's staying plugged out :)

Yeah, I might just dump the TV. Moving house soon so it's one less thing to bring!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

pinksoir wrote: »
    It's staying plugged out :)

Yeah, I might just dump the TV. Moving house soon so it's one less thing to bring!

Remember now, don't just dump it but bring it to any electrical seller who will have to take it from you free of change to get it recycled.

Yeah, or stick it on Adverts for someone to take away for free. I swear, the amount of crud I've put on there and as soon as it's tagged as free there's a bunch of people clawing one another for it.

EDIT: That sounds very cynical :) Someone might have a use for it or want to get it fixed. It's a great TV for gaming on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Open up the back, stick a wooden spoon in a and wiggle it around while turned on.
    Worked for me in days of yore.:)
    If that doesn't work,try a coat hanger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Open her up and sniff out the fault, post a pic of the culprit and maybe someone can assist.
    Have someone on standby with a brush just incase.
    [IMG]http://first_aid_4all.tripod.com/pictures/electric.gif[/IMG]
    *Replace Iron with TV in above image

I had a look and a sniff inside. There doesn't seem to be any obvious culprit, just a load of dust and fluff and stuff. I can't see any charring and the smell of solder is gone. I thought it might have been a capacitor as the smell reminded me of the smell of failed caps, but I can't see any bulging or burst ones. There is one suspect looking cap, but I can't make out if it's glue left on it from assembly or that it's burst. There is glue on a nearby transistor nearby that matches the colour of the white stuff. Here's a pic of it:

img011oo.jpg

It's the one near the board at the top. Besides the residue it looks fine though; no bulging and it looks like the scoring in the metal on the top to allow it to burst is still intact. So I'm not sure about it...

The fuse is fine.

There was a flash and a bang and a puff of smoke. Besides caps or a fuse I dunno what it could be...

Actually, looking closer, it does seem to be the culprit alright. There definitely seems to be a split in that cap and the white residue leaking out. The split looks to continue down the side a bit too. Plus the residue is a slightly different colour than the glue on the nearby transistor...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Probably better off getting a new one...

Sony Triniton CRT will only set you back 20 euro or so

It's certainly something on the HV side, possibly a capacitor or the line output transformer.

You could get a CRT TV for virtually nothing nowadays, some people can't even give them away.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

Get the numbers off it and google them, A soldering Iron and multimeter can be got online for almost nothing these days and you'll always have them in the drawer should you need them again.

Another 30" CRT could be hard to come by.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

Bear in mind there are many different types of capacitors, and although when some blow they emit smoke, not all show that they are faulty (visually missing pieces of it etc), even if there is a loud bang.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The thing with CRT's is, I know this from arcade crt's, when a component goes it ends to take a few others along the chain with it too. Unless your gonna learn, diagnose & fix this yourself, it's surely cheaper to just get a replacement

Cheers dudes. I'm handy with a soldering iron and I've built quite a bit of electronics over the last while. I wouldn't be too comfortable messing round in a tv though cos those caps can store up a lot of voltage. Id be really sad to see it go but I reckon I will have to get rid of it. It's a sweet tv being 4:3 and so big. Was great for gaming. Plus as I said I'm moving house soon so the less stuff to lug about the better...

I do have a 21 inch CRT anyway. But the big one was amazing :(

I'd fix that if I was you!
    one cap,
    its an easy fix and you'll feel good knowing you done it!
    whats the worst that can happen!its all ready busted!

I pulled the cap out to check it and it wasn't it. I'd have stuck a new one in there. It was a 22uf and I even have one lying around! Too bad :(. Dunno what it could be now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

It's worth fixing the TV if you were fond of it, and it's a good one, but it could be a long process. Finding CRT TVs is easy, but really good ones can be elusive.

If you want to fix it, you would probably have to turn on the TV again with the back casing removed to get any idea of what might be wrong. Try the internet for service manuals with fault-finding procedures and circuit diagrams for that TV... then you get into all sorts of complicated stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 deadsoul

One of the parts to go in the sony's with a bang and a flash is the LOPT line out transformer and the transistor ,just remember the LOPT is HT voltage .

A search for "CRT TV" in boards comes up with this.

OP, I've a big old CRT still working that's taking up space here, if you want it it's yours. I'm in Swords, PM me of you're interested.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement