Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW GAS BOILER

Options
  • 29-03-2013 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,,,I had a Potterton Kingfisher Gas Floor standing boiler for the last twenty years which served us well...However its now not working and Bord Gais engineer says its beyond repair and needs to be replaced......i basically know very little about this so all help greatly appreciated.....i need a new boier to basically heat the exiting radiators in the house (6) and to have hot water in the taps....have electric shower so not necessary for this....what is the best type of boiler to go for ,i presume floor standing ones like we have in the kitchen are not the norm any more...They seem to be all wall mounted ones....Is a combi boiler the best to for ,what are the advantages and disadvantages of this type,,,,Is it better to buythe boiler and have a registered fitter put it in or to have the likes of air tricity come and do the whole thing from start to finish......cost wise is there a big difference and would i get this all done for circa 1500 euro...........Many Thanks ....Gerry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

Did he tell you why it's beyond repair. potterton are among the best boilers out there, many of them are still working away a lot older than 20 years. A second opinion might be worth considering. Having said that the newer range of high efficiency Boilers are very good. It's still possible to get Floor mounted boilers but the Wall hung are much more common now.
    You should consider a Condensing Boiler,They are much more efficient overall than a standard Boiler.
    Combi Boiler's are not for everyone. While it's nice to have instant hot water at the Taps. It can take for ever to fill a Bath. Some systems have a Pump which people find annoying when it starts and stop every time a Tap is opened.
    Also as a source of Hot Water it wouldn't be as reliable as a copper Cylinder heated by a Condensing Boiler and an immersion as back up. This is just my opinion.

As to the price it's really depends on what is involved, But a more realistic figure would be somewhere between 2 and 3 thousand.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 gerryfitz

cheers for that info ,many thanks

Advertisement