Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

RIP thread for people involved in film

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Acclaimed French film director, Alan Resnais, has died at the age of 91.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-26405308

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,000 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

RIP, one of the most unique and fascinating voices in mid-century cinema. I've only seen a handful of his films - Hiroshima, Marienbad - but they're deeply intelligent and provocative pieces of cinema. But, if ever it could be said, the man had a damn good run. I saw You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet! a year or two ago, and it was a delight to see a director in his late 80s retain such a passion for experimental storytelling and formal invention. While many directors retire naturally, Resnais kept blazing on making films worthy of our time and attention right up until the last (his final film premiered mere weeks ago). Adieu to a master.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

• Registered Users Posts: 84,108 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The Basketball Diaries director Scott Kalvert has died (RIP) - btw excellent film, DiCaprio proves his is a great actor even before his collaborations with Marty Scorsese

• Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭brian_t

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭rednik

RIP - James Rebhorn. Great character actor from many movies. Recently seen in Homeland.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Another fine character actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,644 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I particularly liked James Rebhorn in The Game. A crucial role, played to perfection.
    The curse of Scent of a Woman strikes again... :(

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, The Bothy Band, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,119 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

One of the foremost names in screen writing in the 70s has died - Lorenzo Semple jr. A man who had his cake and ate it mixing high and low brow entertainment - Pretty Poison, Papillon, The Marriage of a Young Stockbroker , The Parallax View, King Kong, Three Days of the Condor, Never Say Never Again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,119 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users Posts: 38,887 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Appeared in movies spanning 10 separate decades. Phenomenal

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

The quintessential Sunday matinee movie star, it wasn't a Sunday growing up unless there was a Mickey Rooney film on TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Mellor wrote: »
    Appeared in movies spanning 10 separate decades. Phenomenal

And he was the number 1 box office draw from 1939 through 1940.Spanning 2 decades

And he was the number 1 box office draw from 1939 through 1940.Spanning 2 decades
    Sigh, classy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Sigh, classy.

For Gods sake no disrespect was intended.Considering Mickey Rooney completely took the pizs out of himself in that episode of the Simpsons I have a feeling he had a decent sense of humour and probably wouldn't have minded someone referencing one of his more recent performances.

For Gods sake no disrespect was intended.Considering Mickey Rooney completely took the pizs out of himself in that episode of the Simpsons I have a feeling he had a decent sense of humour and probably wouldn't have minded someone referencing one of his more recent performances.

apologies, I thought you were taking the piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

apologies, I thought you were taking the piss.

He was but in a manner that the person himself used to do

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭OldRio

I remember in the 1960's on a Saturday Afternoon their would be a childrens matinee at the 'picture house' It was carnage. It did resemble a zoo at times. How someone didn't get seriously hurt I know not.
    'Boys Town' starring Mickey Rooney and Spencer Tracey seemed to play once a month. It did seem to bring a lull in the inhouse shenanigans.

In later years he always seemed self deprecating in interviews.
    RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,945 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I know the thread title says "people", but I think there's room for a horse: Blanco (1989-2014), who played Shadowfax in The Lord of The Rings films, died recently.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Leslie Carlson (Videodrome) has died

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

HR Giger has died, aged 74.

A truly unique talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

ectoraige wrote: »
    HR Giger has died, aged 74.

A truly unique talent.

Amazing vision (if a bit one paced)

8390697.jpg

hrgiger111.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

A strange but fascinating character, created one of my favourite cinematic characters.

His art may have been a bit one-paced but you certainly see his influence in other media and his style was certainly unmistakable, loved his biomechanical style.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Malik Bendjelloul, director of Searching for Sugar Man, has passed away at the age of 36.

did anyone mention Bob Hoskins a few weeks back?

did anyone mention Bob Hoskins a few weeks back?

There was a whole thread dedicated to him.

There was a whole thread dedicated to him.

Good. I'm stuck using the m.boards site, not the easiest to navigate/search.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

mike65 wrote: »
    Amazing vision (if a bit one paced)

8390697.jpg

hrgiger111.jpg

I always thought that top photo was a scale model and not 1:1 until now. Incredible

Advertisement