Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you connect a water softener to your water supply?

Options
  • 29-03-2013 4:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 33,314 ✭✭✭✭

I have been considering getting a proper water softener for my home, but I was wondering how it is all connected up?

Afaik, the cold water supply comes into my house in the utility room, up through a pipe directly under a sink thats there. Now all covered by recently installed kitchen units.

I'm no expert, but from what I can see there is no access to the water supply outside my house.

So how do the installers go about attaching it to your water supply?
    (Hope this isn't a stupid question)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

NIMAN wrote: »
    So how do the installers go about attaching it to your water supply?
    (Hope this isn't a stupid question)

There is no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid answers!
    If the main stopcock for the house is under that utility sink and that is actually the first point within the house, then you need to cut away an access panel in the unit to reveal the pipework& isolation valve. The unit will then be pipes into there.
    You must have good access to an isolation valve in case of burst pipe & general maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,314 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

does that mean that any water softener I would install would be indoors? May be fine as I have a large, tall cupboard in the utility room that should be able to house the unit.

An in-law got one fitted and theirs is in a little custom made shed outside the back door.

Usually under sink. Larger ones are in sheds. It will depend on your volume requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

Why do you feel you need a Filter if your off Mains Water. Have you had your Water tested. If not that would be a good place to start. Then you can decide what kind if any type of Filter you need.
    Filters come in all types shapes and sizes, there's no point in comparing what someone else has and think it's suitable for you.

sky6 wrote: »
    Why do you feel you need a Filter if your off Mains Water. Have you had your Water tested. If not that would be a good place to start. Then you can decide what kind if any type of Filter you need.
    Filters come in all types shapes and sizes, there's no point in comparing what someone else has and think it's suitable for you.

Most mains water supplies is not treated for water hardness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

Agreed, But the op still needs to identify if he has a problem or not before he wastes his money. He could be a long time financially supporting something he might not need at all unless he get's his water tested.

Agreed, But the op still needs to identify if he has a problem or not before he wastes his money. He could be a long time financially supporting something he might not need at all unless he get's his water tested.

I think the OP would already know if they have hard water or not. The kettle will tell them. I would presume that is why they initially spoke about a water softener.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,314 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

My water doesn't need tested, its very hard. Its easily seen everywhere in the house.

I use a filter jug to clean my water before I boil it, as before I started to do this my keetle wouldn't last more than week without needing descaled.

Now if I descale my kettle and put a new water filter in my jug, I get 3 weeks before a descale. 4 weeks at absolute most. Its that hard!

And I use a double life filter too, so it is meant to last for 2 months, I change mine every 3 weeks - I think a water softener would be a good investment;)

NIMAN wrote: »
    My water doesn't need tested, its very hard. Its easily seen everywhere in the house.

If it is that bad, it might be as well to get an accurate reading of the level of hardness. The manufacturer will then set the unit up to suit your water based on that reading.

Advertisement