Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roof pitch at 21 degrees

Options
  • 29-03-2013 1:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone could tell me what slates would go to 21 degrees? I tried google but couldn't find anything. Any advice appreciated.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 188 ✭✭A fella called fish

Isn't the minimum pitch 23 deg for slates?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Slates

The min pitch for slating is 25°, what rafter length is the 21° pitch slope ?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭olympicweights

Try an Eco slate made in Athy?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,076 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

capco do a 17.5 deg slate

tegral do a 15 degree slate

obviously installation MUST be as per manufacturers recommendations

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭smellyfinger

lnos1 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone could tell me what slates would go to 21 degrees? I tried google but couldn't find anything. Any advice appreciated.
    Thanks.

If you have valleys I would avoid slating below 27*
    I've been roofing for almost 30 years and have a lot of experience. It may not leak for a few years but from experience it will. I know a local lad that asked me to price his roof which was 25* and I told him it was too flat as the rafters were 8 meters long. Anyway he got a lad fresh from fas with basic knowledge to do it and it leaked from day 1. They stripped and re slated it as mostly the valleys were leaking and after 2 years it leaked again. I have since tiled the whole roof with low pitch tiles and 7 years later its still dry. Sales reps will sell you whatever they have and can convince you that it's fit for purpose but experience is hard to beat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Isn't the minimum pitch 23 deg for slates?
    Slates wrote: »
    The min pitch for slating is 25°, what rafter length is the 21° pitch slope ?

You can slate lower, just ask the technical dept of the manufacturer for a spec to match the pitch.
    You will end up spending more, due to increased headlap, detailing etc.
    Do not rely on a roofer/ slater to just slate the roof for you working on his own initiative, get the correct spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Gsmith84

lnos1 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Thanks.

Was wondering did you go a head with the 21 degree pitch and was it a success.

Advertisement