Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting or applying for a council house?

Options
  • 29-03-2013 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey.

I am on disability allowance due to my physical disability in my arms. At the moment I am renting a 4 bedroom house with 4 others. I will be finished college in May and will be moving home. I find this house is more suitable for me.
    I have got used to living independently and find that my family home is not very well suited for me. I can't reach most of the cupboards in the kitchen, the plugs are to far in, the cooker is high, the taps are to far in. I don't have excellent balance and find that I have to climb a lot to reach these things. I will be at home on my own 5 days a week between 9-6 so I can't get others to do things for me and frankly I don't want them to be either. I have been approved to a carer in the morning and evening for one hour and have got used to them helping instead of my family. As I get to make the decisions.
    I am turning 21 and would like to move out.
    What can the council do for me? I feel that I am not entitled to anything more, and wont be approved for a council house for the above reasons.
    I am I dreaming? Or would I be entitled to anything?

Thanks
    B

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

It's certainly worth registering for social housing. There are long lists, but you might just get lucky. The IWA has been encouraging people to sign up; http://www.iwa.ie/services/housing

• Registered Users Posts: 15 lilly mae

Hi, I would say go for it. It may not come up for a long time but you will never get one if you are not on the list. I know single people with a disability who after several years waiting got a place, and now they have it permenantly. It could be a long wait so don't get too excited too quickly but go on the waiting list. Nothing to loose with that. What about rent allowance in the mean time to stay independant.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

RainyDay wrote: »
    It's certainly worth registering for social housing. There are long lists, but you might just get lucky. The IWA has been encouraging people to sign up; http://www.iwa.ie/services/housing

Social Housing, as it was known, no longer exists. I was going to sign up to my local council to highlight my housing needs, but I was told that I cannot do this as I am over the income limit by just 400 quid!!!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15 lilly mae

Corporation housing is still available in some places, if you are in the city and as a student I presume u r n the city. Google your local corporation and check out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Social Housing, as it was known, no longer exists. I was going to sign up to my local council to highlight my housing needs, but I was told that I cannot do this as I am over the income limit by just 400 quid!!!!:rolleyes:

Seems a bit harsh to say that it no longer exists. It was always means-tested, at fairly modest income levels. I don't think that has changed much.

• Advertisement
Advertisement