Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoke Filters

Options
  • 28-03-2013 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

I smoke cigs with and without filters. Does anyone know if the tobacco in all cigarettes is the same strength and is it just the filter which changes the amount of nicotine / tar going in to your system? Or is it possible to buy cigs that are actually lower in nicotine and tar?
    Sorry if it's a stupid question!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭james142

I smoke cigs with and without filters. Does anyone know if the tobacco in all cigarettes is the same strength and is it just the filter which changes the amount of nicotine / tar going in to your system? Or is it possible to buy cigs that are actually lower in nicotine and tar?
    Sorry if it's a stupid question!

A cigarette filter has the purpose of reducing the amount of smoke, tar, and fine particles inhaled during the combustion of a cigarette. Filters also reduce the harshness of the smoke and keep tobacco flakes out of the smoker's mouth

It does not reduce the harm a ciggerette does to you or the amount of nicotine you inhale. So really it's only real advantage is keeping tobacco flakes from being inhaled into my mouth

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Staff Infection

I smoked Players Navy cut a few weeks ago and they are unfiltered. Tasted different and you get the odd flake of tobacco in your mouth but they're a nice change all the same. I was expecting them to taste very strong but didn't think they were.

To answer you question OP if all tobacco is the same, from knowing friends who smoke rollies I would have to say no. One friend of mine only smokes Samson as he says it's a nicer flavour and smoother. On the other hand another friend of mine prefers Golden Virginia and maintains Drum blows the head off you. They've both tried other brands before picking their favorite.
    Also looking at all the brands with "light" and "ultra-light" options yes you can get lower tar and nicotine cigarettes but I don't know if that is due to a stronger filter or different tobacco types but they are available.

Ok quick edit, I smoked a pipe for a while two years ago and just remembered there were different tobacco types such as oriental or virginian so yes there are different types of tobacco if that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Abracadabra99

Thanks for the answers guys - appreciate the help :)

Advertisement