Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health Insurance (laya) Premium

Options
  • 28-03-2013 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭

Not exactly a bargain alert but might be useful to some one whose membership expires soon

My Laya membership was up for renewal 1st April - after some investigation I started a NEW policy online for 31st March and when all complete emailed the new policy to customer services to cancel the current on and please confirm all privileges etc carry over

Due to when Laya premium rates increase moving one day saved me 339.00

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Good advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,708 ✭✭✭ablelocks

what if membership isn't due to expire until April 30th? Would this still work?

Mods if my post below is too far off topic then feel free to delete / move
    we haven't had to pay for medical insurance ever (my wife worked for US multinationals)

So we got 6 months extra cover after noblelocks got made redundant. Currently with Laya - but now have to figure it all out and look at the detail of who offers what cover for how much.

I read somewhere recently that there are over 200 different options across all providors - any one have any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭amber2

ablelocks wrote: »
    what if membership isn't due to expire until April 30th? Would this still work?

Mods if my post below is too far off topic then feel free to delete / move

Yes My renewal was due in December rang them in October, there was an increase due in premiums so they did a refund for the month of November on my old policy and then I paid the balance by DD from my account.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Kevface91

<3 youuuuuuu..... SO glad I havent paid yet! almost did yesterday! although how much are you paying if youre saving e339? saves me about e150, and if i look at the basic package it saves me about e105

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭shannon82

Does laya not also impose a 12month contract?

• Advertisement

yup they sure do..... do the others not? really must look into this more thoroughly....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

sorry saved exactly 27%

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

shannon82 wrote: »
    Does laya not also impose a 12month contract?
    12 month contract rules for Laya were introduced June 2012, if you renewed before that you and due to renew in the next few months you could stop and retart your policy in order to get current price before they go up next month. You have today left to do this.
    This was suggested on the Pat Kenny program a few weeks ago and I gathered together most of the other details I could on this forum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

I was in the same position, and decided to switch from Aviva, which was due to renew on April 1st. But just to note, my Laya quote in the last 2 days was for 11 months only, collected over 10 months. Hence I had to /11X12 to compare to Aviva. Was still about Eur500 cheaper for a family of 4, although due to Laya's excess I don't think I'll get much back on day to day excesses. I felt the Laya staff were better at advising me re saving money, as I had already done my research re plans etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

Dont forgot to ask for the corporate equivalent package!

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/pricewatch/2010/09/06/save-on-health-insurance/

• Advertisement

wil wrote: »
    12 month contract rules for Laya were introduced June 2012, if you renewed before that you and due to renew in the next few months you could stop and retart your policy in order to get current price before they go up next month. You have today left to do this.
    This was suggested on the Pat Kenny program a few weeks ago and I gathered together most of the other details I could on this forum

could you clarify Wil? "you have today left to do this"?
    I can't get through to customer service, guessing they must have Good Friday off.... was hoping to try tomorrow morning, because theyre open saturdays.
    Is there some clause that says the cover must be paid for before the cover start date?
    I'm planning on downgrading my cover because its not covered by work anymore, would have liked to talk to someone on the phone about it before committing, but might go ahead with it anyway- this thread seems to indicate there would be no major break-in-cover issues

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

I rang them this morning, but could only leave a voicemail. However, I also requested a call back which I received about 30 mins later.
    The girl indicated they were very busy....however, I got cover starting 30th March, paying by direct debit.
    See opening hours over Easter: http://www.layahealthcare.ie/contactus/#top

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

It is a 11 month not 12 month contract that you have got with Laya.

Advertisement