Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a 6ch Heli

Options
  • 28-03-2013 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Hi

I've messed around with a few of those tiny indoor helis and I've decided that I want to get back into flying. I had (have) a nitro trainer from around 20 years ago and also used to race Mini stock cars.

All the helis so far have been 3 channel yokes but I've ordered a 4 channel Syma off ebay to get started with proper flying. I intend to get a proper feel for 4 ch flying from this before moving on.

I'd like to be able to fly comfortably outdoors on a reasonably calm day so I'd need a decent sized heli. I definitely want electric and good access to spare parts, extra batteries etc.

Looking around, Esky seems a popular choice - are they the cheap and cheerful approach? Walkera models also caught my eye but I'm open to any suggestions.
    I'm not madly looking for an aerobatic model but it would be crazy to rule it out.
    Should I be looking for an intermediate model before looking for something with all the bells and whistles or should I spend decent money now and get something that will last me?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

have a look on hobbyking, they have loads of helis, but the shipping might be expensive but if you are buying one buy a load of parts too, so it will save you on shipping in the long run..

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

I kind of forgot a heli I bought about two years ago and like an eejit assumed I could fly it straight off the bat.
    I ended up breaking the hub for the tail rotor. I glued that back together and it flew again but a few days later, the glue gave up the ghost and it plummeted to the ground, breaking a linkage for the main rotors.
    I reopened the box the other day and discovered that what I have is an Esky honeybee King 2, which isn't a bad heli at all.
    I've done a bit of reading in the last few days and I've ordered a HH gyro for it, some spare blades and I'll get training gear.
    To fix the two broken parts, I've ordered a set of 'upgraded' aluminium parts. I've since read somewhere that these aren't reckoned to be as strong as the plastic parts, which I'd find hard to believe. Any thoughts?
    Also, is renewing the parts just a simple assembly job or will the heli have to be setup afterwards?

I have a usb interface for the E-sky Tx and I've tried it with FMS. The only problem I'm having is that to adjust the throttle, I have to move the left stick left and right, which presumably should be the rudder. I'll have a look and see if I can figure out what the problem is.
    I have Version 3 of Phoenix but trying it on my desktop, it says that it can't detect the USB interface. FMS isn't working with the Tx on my desktop either so I'll try Phoenix on my laptop and see is there any improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭stedabee

Hi if i was you id go to rc711.com i buy all my stuff there and they have a really good service and are fairly cheap. The heli i think you should get is a flybarless walkera model, they have loads of types 4 channel or 6 and there around 1 foot long for the 4 channelg, now dont under estimate the heli because of the size......these things are capiable of serious 3d for only €200 max including everything.

I have a v120d02s and its bloody brilliant and im saying this having owned a hyrobo Scudo ! the speed it does is insane for a little heli and if you can master this the big ones will be no problem to you.
    Check this guy out on youtube he does really good reports on walkera gear so you will find a review on what ever heli you go for either with this guy on his channel or youtube

Now when buying make sure its a flybarless becuase the old models have a bar hense the term fly"BAR"less and when the tail rotor hits the grass seeing as there tiny they tend to break, now its not exspensive to fix maybe €3 at a time but your better off with the new brand.

Hope this helps

Advertisement