Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Counter Strike: Global Offensive

Options
  • 28-03-2013 4:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭

Is this worth getting, I used to play CS 1.6 a lot back in the day, and I would like to get back into it, but I think 1.6 might be a bit too old now. CS:S would be another option, just curious does anyone still play on these servers, otherwise it's a waste of time buying them :D

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

All Counter Strike are densely populated.

CS 1.6 player peak today: 44,354
    CSS player peak: 35,894
    CS: GO player peak: 28,144

CS GO has the lowest but it has a larger audience overall, ie on off peak times CS GO normally has a higher player count. They're all really active in the end :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

woah 1.6 still has a higher peak than the newer versions?

I thought it died out when all its hardcore players - which i was one - got jobs :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Yeah, I'd always figured CSS would have a higher peak than 1.6. I guess that shows the staying power of the CS games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I would recommend CS:GO. It feels far closer to 1.6 than CSS ever was. You can easily get 5v5's going as well which is its best selling point. No more fiddling around in IRC channels trying to get a proper game going, it takes minutes rather than potentially hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

im not a CS veteran or anything but i really enjoy CS:GO. its a nice change of pace from the 'big' shooters out now. the steam workshop does add to it as well with peeople making old maps etc. I dont have much time to play it as much as i would like(final year student) but roll on summer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Sync

Great, thanks for the reply's everyone. I still have CS 1.6, just don't have it installed so I might install that for an hour or two of nostalgia but I think I'll invest in CS:Go tonight when I get in, I played CS:S when it first came out, and I wasn't a big fan of it compared to 1.6 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

There it is for a tenner, activates with Steam obviously :P

http://www.kinguin.net/counter-strike/counter-strike-global-offensive-steam-key.html

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

There's 2 main reasons why the older CS games are still popular:

1) The support and updates for the games have kept coming in over the years.
    2) Since the games are updated they have full support for modern machines, topped with the fact that ANY modern machine can run the games, is just the icing on the cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Like 80% of the 1.6 player base is Eastern Europe/south america. It is pretty much a dead game in the UK/Ire and most of Western Europe.

CSS is popular because of the mods and public servers i think, honestly haven't played it since GO was released so not sure if its still got an active public scene in the UK etc.. its dead competitively tho.

CS:GO is good, really active competitive scene atm, matchmaking is handy if your new to the game but want to branch into competitive play etc. Well worth the few quid it costs thats for sure. Its probably gonna be going f2p within the next 6 months tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Magill wrote: »
    Its probably gonna be going f2p within the next 6 months tho.

really? where did you see this. wonder how will they micro transaction it. i cant see them putting in hats or stop signs as melee weapons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Sync

Magill wrote: »
    Like 80% of the 1.6 player base is Eastern Europe/south america. It is pretty much a dead game in the UK/Ire and most of Western Europe.

CSS is popular because of the mods and public servers i think, honestly haven't played it since GO was released so not sure if its still got an active public scene in the UK etc.. its dead competitively tho.

CS:GO is good, really active competitive scene atm, matchmaking is handy if your new to the game but want to branch into competitive play etc. Well worth the few quid it costs thats for sure. Its probably gonna be going f2p within the next 6 months tho.

Thanks for that, It's only $14.99 CAD on the steam store from what I can see so for 6 months I wouldn't mind, hopefully won't break the bank :p

Does CS:GO still have the same style as 1.6 with the Terrorist vs CT short rounds style?
    I probably should have looked into that a bit more but I'll just take a chance on it tonight anyway I think. I'm going to be playing on a laptop so I doubt the COD games would run as smooth as the CS ones.

Advertisement