Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sleepy Hollow...

Options
  • 28-03-2013 2:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭

P1050360.jpg

This trip is a good time for honing some survival skills, getting my BOV up to scratch and helping out my uncle with his retreat in Eire.

The journey was interesting. Ireland is flatish in the south but once you get beyond Longford it starts to get interesting.

Hills and small mountains appear and the roads get more twisty too.

It’s so remote and away from the bs of urban life and the capital so you don’t get any hassle from nosey parkers.

I pass an old shack that's seen better days, don't worry we won't be staying there...

P1050329.jpg

Folks of mine found some land back when it was cheap and affordable. They upped sticks and made their new home in the misty isles of Eire....
    They have some roots in the country already so some of the folks in the area know our kin of old! :)

P1020309.jpg

They call their place the Sleepy Hollow as it is a kinda sleepy area.

No rubbish collection here and you have to pay to use the landfill dumps.

P1020310.jpg

So the work begins on making the Sleepy Hollow. Before I show you the work, lets go inside and get some shelter in the place, I've asked them to open up the gates and let us all in....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Watch Ryder

Works ongoing with upgrading the Outpost.

Need to put a gate here as it leads onto the public lane, anyone can just fall on down those steps too:

P1050324.jpg

Main lane is kinda narrow too.

P1050311.jpg

Need another gate here, as it is just anyone can roll on down unannounced.

P1050312.jpg

Here's where food crops can hopefully be planted...

P1050321.jpg

Garth’s decided to convert a section of drive to be a parking platform and for later buildings.

It needs leveling though as the driveway to his bottom section of land is on a slope.

First of all though we need to get some rocks shifted about to form a foundation...

My BOV comes in handy at first...

BOVRock.jpg

BOVRocks.jpg

Then for the really big stuff we bring in the digger:

P1050438-1.jpg

P1050441.jpg

P1050455.jpg

P1050464.jpg

I roll over it a few times for good measure in the BOV...

P1050501.jpg

Next it's onto the barn renovation which is kinda tricky...

We have a secret weapon against intruders... :)

Solar Panels allow me to fully re-charge a trojan battery that I bought are now installed on my BOV:

I got these in the UK from a company called Midsummer Energy, they might be more expensive in Eire.... :(

Getting wood in so we can keep the home fires burning. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Looks like a nice BOL, does your uncle live there all the time or is it just a get away place?

Question about the solar pannels on the defender, you said in the bideo tpu have not needed to charge uour battery in over 2 years, which would be normal, unless you are using the battery without rinning the engine alot?

• Advertisement

It's a trojan battery which holds the charge really well :)

aaakev wrote: »
    Looks like a nice BOL, does your uncle live there all the time or is it just a get away place?

It's kinda both on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

It's a trojan battery which holds the charge really well :)

What AH is it? I dont see the need for the solar pannels unless your using it for power without running the engine, is that what you do?

aaakev wrote: »
    What AH is it? I dont see the need for the solar pannels unless your using it for power without running the engine, is that what you do?

Yes!

Advertisement