Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can I be a tour guide for Germans?

Options
  • 28-03-2013 1:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Sorry if this is in teh wrong place. Anyway I'd like to practice my German skills in an environment outside of classes. I am wondering how could I become a tour guide through German or if you have any other suggetions.. I would do it for free but the problem is I live in Carlow - not a tourist hotspot! But I could do Kilkenny. Any advice or other ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Sorry if this is in teh wrong place. Anyway I'd like to practice my German skills in an environment outside of classes. I am wondering how could I become a tour guide through German or if you have any other suggetions.. I would do it for free but the problem is I live in Carlow - not a tourist hotspot! But I could do Kilkenny. Any advice or other ideas?

I would hand in some flyers to hotels, pubs, the tourist board...anywhere, you can expect German tourists to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭dubbie82

It's not that easy. Failte Ireland runs local guiding courses, you have to check their website. I know that the training is up for tender and Portobello College is taking over the training for National Tour Guides not sure what happend with City Guide course tho.
    Next thing
    I am a guide, approved with all the necessary qualifications and courses which cost money and in the name of every tour guide who tries to make a living out of that don't do it just for "fun". Unfortunately the rules and regulations are not very strict when it comes to guiding.
    If you want to be a guide you need public liability insurance. Last thing I heard it works out betweeen 300-600 Euro for non AATGI members. Also a occupational first Aid course is compulsory for approved guides which of course cost more money.
    If you want to do it for free and you work on tip only basis that needs to be taxed.

As far as I know there are already a couple of Guides in Kilkenny who do walking tours, you coming in and do it free is not a smart idea.

Sorry I am such a spoil sport.

Did you look up Meetup Groups? I know there is a german-english language exchange group in Dublin they do all sorts of activities. You could start one in Carlow maybe, they are quite easy to set up.

Advertisement