Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sibling writing autobiography mentioning me?

Options
  • 27-03-2013 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi,
    Looking for some general advice please. A close family member is writing a book at the moment. The book refers to me,my siblings and events around the death of another member of my family. It's based on the years following the death etc and the writers version of events so to speak.
    I think it has been sent to several publishers. Can this person do this without my permission, and do I have any say in what is mentioned. If for example I think that the book will have a negative effect on younger members of the family? Also, in my own opinion the writers telling of events would be at best skewed.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

The short answer is no, you don't have a say. Anyone can write anything they like about you, as long as it is not libellous. Just as a reporter can cover the case of someone accused of corruption and write about them without permission, so your sibling can write about anyone in the family.

The only control is that what they write must not be libellous. It doesn't even have to be true, as long as the lie does not damage you. Only if it is untrue and damaging do you have a case for libel.

The writer's opinion is that, an opinion, and that's allowed. Very few people remember the same event in the same way. Your memory of things may differ, but that doesn't mean his version is wrong, or that he can't write about it.

If he writes something which you can prove is untrue and which damages you in some way (if he says or implies that you contributed to the death) then you have a libel case. You do not have a case based on "This may cause sleepless nights to the children in a year's time".

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭bert n ernie

EileenG wrote: »
    The short answer is no, you don't have a say. Anyone can write anything they like about you, as long as it is not libellous. Just as a reporter can cover the case of someone accused of corruption and write about them without permission, so your sibling can write about anyone in the family.

The only control is that what they write must not be libellous. It doesn't even have to be true, as long as the lie does not damage you. Only if it is untrue and damaging do you have a case for libel.

The writer's opinion is that, an opinion, and that's allowed. Very few people remember the same event in the same way. Your memory of things may differ, but that doesn't mean his version is wrong, or that he can't write about it.

If he writes something which you can prove is untrue and which damages you in some way (if he says or implies that you contributed to the death) then you have a libel case. You do not have a case based on "This may cause sleepless nights to the children in a year's time".

Thanks so much for the reply,looks like i'll have to see if I can get a copy beforehand and see what's actually in it. Thanks again.

Advertisement