Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless IP camera recommendation

Options
  • 27-03-2013 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I have recently bought a Synology NAS box and now want to use their surveillance station software to run a wireless IP camera (1 initially but maybe more later).

The camera will be inside my house looking out through the front door (it's a large glass pane). I want it to work during the night and day so I'm not sure if reflection off the glass will be an issue for night vision?

Have you guys any recommendations for a good camera that will work for me? I'm budgeting around €100-150 for this.

Many thanks,
    John.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Cant recommend a wireless camera but you will need power so why not use a wired camera and use a pair of powerline adapters

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

Hi Jnealon,

I hadn't really thought of doing that because of the added cost of using powerline adapters. Are wired cameras better for some reason? Can you recommend one of them within my budget?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

John2002 wrote: »
    Hi Jnealon,

I hadn't really thought of doing that because of the added cost of using powerline adapters. Are wired cameras better for some reason? Can you recommend one of them within my budget?

Cheers.

In the long run wired would be better. Low end wireless cams suffer from dropout/packet loss issues, flickering, interference, etc.

Much better in the long term to run in a Cat5e cable and go for a half decent panasonic, Ic realtime or Ycam with day-night /infared, and power it with a PoE injector. You can then locate the injector adjacent to your switch or router-then patch it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Ninjakettle

If you plan on using it for motion detection you'll find IR LEDS suck at night and i would opt for PIR models instead. The Axis cams review well and are priced keenly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Keepan Eye

I use a Synology DS111 ---this model has been upgraded, but the Synology DS111 I got works very well. Y CAM make reasonable IP Infra red cameras.
    You could locate this outside the house with one of their enclosures. It will give reasonable pictures. However at the end of he day you get what you pay for, So if its excellent pictures you want you really will have to spend I fear. However buy a Y CAM see how you get on with the set -up then you can sell on the y cam and up grade [ Mobotix if you have the cash but they are dear..........mind you I see cameras up to €5000 + on sale..........but experiment with the Y CAM. Hard wiring the cameras seems to be the best route [ unless you can get a top end with excellent wireless ] ---probably cost a fortune. I run a Y CAM and an AXIS M1054. My Y CAM was far easier to set up. If you are new to this technology I would begin with Y CAM.........There are some cheapo look alikes to y CAM but I think they are hit and miss and as I say if you are new to this try a Trusted brand......[ and no I am not on any commission from y cam but I know the hours I put in setting up my system and am thankful that all errors I made were not with the Hardware but were mine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement