Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird image showing up on Chrome. Virus?

Options
  • 27-03-2013 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

Some weird image randomly comes up in the bottom left corner of the screen while using Chrome. Only noticed it a few times in the last 2-3 hours. Managed to grab a screenshot:

possvirus_zps6183df02.jpg

It disappears once I scroll. Is this a virus? I tried typing it into google but it's kind of a hard thing to explain to the google search bar.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Not a virus per say. But it is the "Pantoo the Dog" program that was popular amongst certain individuals some years back. Get rid unless you want to be sent down!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Not a virus per say. But it is the "Pantoo the Dog" program that was popular amongst certain individuals some years back. Get rid unless you want to be sent down!

Well now I'm even more confused.

Do you know how to get rid of it? You say it's a program but it's not showing up in the Add/Remove Programs list from the control panel

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Maybe it's a sign that you need to get off Windows XP? :)

Do you have any unusual extensions installed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Penn wrote: »
    Well now I'm even more confused.

Do you know how to get rid of it? You say it's a program but it's not showing up in the Add/Remove Programs list from the control panel

Its a good few years since I've seen it in the wild but there used to be a program going around the news groups (alt.malware.uk.edu etc.) that would clean it off for you. Here's a video explaining exactly what it is. Be clear that the client side of this program has all the nice graphics, the icon YOU are seeing is just to let you know its running on the victims PC:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx4ixXQFUQY&feature=youtu.be&t=17s

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Mr E wrote: »
    Maybe it's a sign that you need to get off Windows XP? :)

Do you have any unusual extensions installed?

It's my work PC. We've only just upgraded from Windows 95 :D

No extensions installed at all. I updated to the latest version of Chrome before I left work so will see if that has any effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 djridge100

This had me worried/confused about my PC too for a while, until I realised I had a Windows search window open behind Chrome. The dog silhouette matches the 'Windows XP Dog', so is probably just showing through:

xp-dog.jpg

Advertisement