Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

licentiate diploma piano with Royal Irish Academy of Music

Options
  • 27-03-2013 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

im currently working towards grade 9 with the central london academy of music. after this, i plan to do grade 5 theory and the associate diploma with the central london academy. however, i would like to do a licentiate diploma and fellowship diploma with the royal irish academy of music. would i be able to switch schools and how much of a step up would it be. also, for the licentiate with the royal irish what wuold i have to do? what pieces would i have to play?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

your best bet would be to contact RIAM directly...they have full syllabus in their website so you can check that for pieces/repertoire, but if you send them an email they will be able to advise you properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

The LRIAM is quite tough - not a walk in the park. If you have a strong background in music theory, ear skills and history that side is a walk in the park - if not, you might find it tough. The practical however, is very tough. I actually went back and did an ARIAM (on organ) after failing the practical for LRIAM but getting 100% on non performance side. This did help bring me up to standard and I got it easily on repeat - thus ending up with both diplomas.

I think it might be still possible to take the two parts separately? Unsure. contact the RIAM directly. The LRIAM is not an easy diploma, in my day it was certainly well ahead of both LTCL and LRCM but easier than Associated Board.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

You can certainly switch schools and exam boards, but you need to contact RIAM directly to see how your current knowledge would place you on their system.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

Also, since you mention a fellowship diploma, I'm pretty sure the RIAM don't offer one.

You'd be better off doing an LTCL or LLCM I'd say...most people would agree that they are better qualifications (especially abroad) in any case.

Advertisement