Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why can I not be informed what the quarterly fees will be before you take my money?

Options
  • 27-03-2013 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

I am on a limited income and NEED to know what money will be taken next quarter. I understand that this is calculated at the end of the quarter however why can I not get even a text to say X amount will be deducted from your account? I was told in my local branch of Bantry that I should just add it all up myself and keep my balance topped up... don't you think I would love to have a nice balance? It would be great but due to my heating system breaking I am having to pay out a lump sum.

I am not ashamed to admit I am poor. I don't have much money. If you take all of it one day what am I supposed to do? I already had problems with lidl voiding a transaction due to an error which left me with a ghost transaction! This meant for 2 weeks I was left with a negative balance. I had spent my budgeted amount and should have had enough left for a couple items on my prescription. I asked in Bantry if I could please just have my money, I showed them the receipt where it says it is a voided item. Lidl even said they had rejected the payment. I had to go to the pharmacy and ask if they would lend me the money until BANK OF IRELAND gave it back to me!

Oh and I was told in Bantry I should have kept my balance in check... I have a strict budget that gives me very little wiggle room but it is working. However I do not need to be judged because I have to count my pennies.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Laura

Hi Thraxen.

Thanks for your query.

We understand your frustration and appreciate your feedback. We apologise for the service you received in your bank and have forwarded your comments directly to them.

There is currently no automatic transaction counter available online. We have had this previously suggested and have sent it on to our Web Development Team for review, as we feel this would be very beneficial for our customers. At present, if your transaction charges total an amount greater than e12.70, a letter will automatically be issued to you two weeks prior to the fees being applied to your account.

It is correct that fees are not calculated until the end of each fee quarter, however once the fee quarter has ended, your branch will be able to advise you of the amount that is due to be charged to your account. For example, the next fee quarter is due to end on the 17th of May and fees accrued will then be applied to accounts on the 21st of June.
    You can call your branch between these dates and a representative will be able to advise you of the amount you will be charged.

If you are not currently registered with Banking365, signing up for this service may be an option available to you. Please see here for more detail.
    Our 365 Mobile App can also be downloaded, which will allow you to keep track of your finances on the go. More information can be found here.

You can also avail of everyday banking for less than 13cent a day by choosing our flat fee option of €11.40 per quarter for up to 90 transactions. Alternatively if you think you will have less than 40 transactions in a quarter then the very competitive flat fee pricing of 28c per transaction may be best for you.
    If you would like to change the fee category that you are currently on, please contact your account holding branch or call Banking365 on 0818 365 365 and a representative will be happy to assist you.

We hope this helps.
    If there is anything else we can help you with, please let us know.
    Laura

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Thraxen

Hi Thraxen.

Thanks for your query.

We understand your frustration and appreciate your feedback. We apologise for the service you received in your bank and have forwarded your comments directly to them.

There is currently no automatic transaction counter available online. We have had this previously suggested and have sent it on to our Web Development Team for review, as we feel this would be very beneficial for our customers. At present, if your transaction charges total an amount greater than e12.70, a letter will automatically be issued to you two weeks prior to the fees being applied to your account.

It is correct that fees are not calculated until the end of each fee quarter, however once the fee quarter has ended, your branch will be able to advise you of the amount that is due to be charged to your account. For example, the next fee quarter is due to end on the 17th of May and fees accrued will then be applied to accounts on the 21st of June.
    You can call your branch between these dates and a representative will be able to advise you of the amount you will be charged.

If you are not currently registered with Banking365, signing up for this service may be an option available to you. Please see here for more detail.
    Our 365 Mobile App can also be downloaded, which will allow you to keep track of your finances on the go. More information can be found here.

You can also avail of everyday banking for less than 13cent a day by choosing our flat fee option of €11.40 per quarter for up to 90 transactions. Alternatively if you think you will have less than 40 transactions in a quarter then the very competitive flat fee pricing of 28c per transaction may be best for you.
    If you would like to change the fee category that you are currently on, please contact your account holding branch or call Banking365 on 0818 365 365 and a representative will be happy to assist you.

We hope this helps.
    If there is anything else we can help you with, please let us know.
    Laura
    I was told by two representatives that they no longer send letters out and have not done so in over two years. Explain that to me?

Hi Thraxten.

We apologise for the incorrect information you have received.

If your transaction charges total more than e12.70, a letter confirming the amount due will issue to you approximately two weeks prior to the fees being applied to your account.

Thanks
    Laura

Hi Thraxten.

We apologise for the incorrect information you have received.

If your transaction charges total more than e12.70, a letter confirming the amount due will issue to you approximately two weeks prior to the fees being applied to your account.

Thanks
    Laura
    Now do you see my problem with actually believing what you say? I've had two members of staff say that I will not get a letter. I see in the forums people have been charged €50 and got no letter.
    An no more "we apologise" as this is not answering my question about the incompetence of your members of staff. If I cannot trust someone in branch. Who on earth can I trust?

I think it would be best if you simply tell me how to cancel my bank account. I will be going to PTSB.

Hi.

We understand your frustrations and we are sorry to hear we may lose your business.

If you would like to pm us with the branch or department where you received this information, we would be happy to forward the feedback on to them as the information provided above has been confirmed and is correct.

If you do decide you wish to close your accounts with us, please send a signed, written instruction to your account holding branch directly. Contact details for your bank can be found here.

Laura

• Advertisement

Hi.

We understand your frustrations and we are sorry to hear we may lose your business.

If you would like to pm us with the branch or department where you received this information, we would be happy to forward the feedback on to them as the information provided above has been confirmed and is correct.

If you do decide you wish to close your accounts with us, please send a signed, written instruction to your account holding branch directly. Contact details for your bank can be found here.

Laura
    You keep saying you apologise for wrong info and the like. Now out of curiosity if I apologise for using my card and not being told about the fees will you refund me? I mean surely if you apologising means I should be okay then surely it will work vice versa right? Or in fact are you try to placate me?

Now I am curious will you tell me how to make a complaint again not just my branch but bank of Ireland? Who exactly do I contact that will actually make anything happen. I have made complaints in branch and I never even received an apology  I have been given not just one wrong answer, I am talking 16 times in the last 3 months where I was told by multiple people an answer to a question. Each and every one was wrong. Now who exactly do I contact about the standards of Bank of Ireland? I have absolutely no trust with BOI. I don't think that defrauding customers is entirely legal either. Now I wonder if you will reply to me with anything more than "contact your branch".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Pat

Hi Thraxen,

We've apologised above when you've mentioned an issue that deserved an apology. We endeavour to provide correct information to our customers regardless of whether the information was provided over the phone or in branch. From time to time this does not happen as it should. When we are made aware of a customer that has been misinformed, we take the opportunity to apologise and provide them with correct up to date information in relation to the issue that was raised.

As you mentioned that you would prefer not to go to your branch again with your complaint, you can raise the issues that you're unhappy with to our Group Customer Complaints department. This Unit is dedicated to investigating complaints and resolving issues on your behalf. You can contact them by phone or post. Their contact details can be found here.

I hope this helps.

Thanks
    Pat

Advertisement