Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Office Network

Options
  • 27-03-2013 2:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭

The company I work for is in the process in moving into a bigger office and taking on some more staff. In the past, as there wasn’t too many of us we have just used emails, memory sticks and Dropbox to pass information around. With the new staff and office we were hoping to improve on this and get a full network, etc.

I know the basics of what’s involved but that is as far as my knowledge goes regarding this topic. I am wondering how complicated it is to set up a full business network (server, network, central storage, etc.) and what is involved. I have been searching for companies online that can consult, design and set up a network but I haven’t been able to find any. Can anyone recommend any? I have also heard that companies like Dell offer such a service if you are purchasing their products, is this true?

I am also wondering what’s involved in setting up a system that can allow access to the central server / network from 2 different sites, i.e. our old office and new one, and what are the risks / problems with doing so.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

Hi Mark,

I do understand your "feelings" !
    Is not a big job if you know what you're doing !

Sometime,works better if you approach an external company that gives you "best of industry standards" applied to your local environment !

As a start point and as minimum:

First step is to draw a list of requirements as you see there from your perspective ,purely technical and in plain English !
    Second,ask your senior management (you can be one of them...) to create a basic list with some of the business issues:time,budget,policies,staff access,constraints (physical,legal,software,hardware).
    Third,create a summary of all your hardware,software,usage,users of ALL your current IT environment !
    Forth,create a list of so called "desire list" that you like to get it while moving and once the new office is setup then look at both offices !
    Fifth,create a "gap analysis" and see what do you really need and afford ! :)

Once above steps done (not really all of them and/or in same order) then you can approach few IT companies that can be invited for consultation in your office !
    Be careful with how "open" you are to these companies and make sure all is written "black on white" on the paper or via emails !
    Actually,i advise you to get at least 3 quotations and then sit down with your internal techie staff and/or with the management and discuss it !

I can provide you with a free of charge AND Boards' member discount if you can pass me ,privately,some contact details !
    There is no commitment to take my IT Recommendation !

I can call out FoC in to your old / new office and discuss IT there !

Good luck ...and...have fun !!!

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

Thanks for no feedback and/or updates !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

He's probably suffering from an overload of exclamation marks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Mark.87

I actually just forgot about this post!
    Sorry about that and thanks for the info. I think I have managed to get everything sorted.

Advertisement