Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cavity Wall Insulation

Options
  • 27-03-2013 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

My bungalowwas built in 1980 and the external walls are 4 inch solid blocks, with a 4 inchcavity which has rigid insulation board fitted (25mm I think). I also have theattic fitted with rolls of fibreglass insulation and partly floored for extrastorage. I am considering having theexternal cavity walls pumped with foam or beads to improve the overallinsulation of the house.

I have readvarious reports of using either foam or beads. I understand that damp patchesmight arise on the inside walls because of the effect of dampness bridging thecavity. I am somewhat confused which method I should consider…foam or beads.

I wonder ifanyone has advice to offer me on this project.
    Pensioner Pete
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭dathi

use beads , foam is not certified for use in a cavity wall, only the beads have "nsai certs" as to your attic the recommended amount of insulation is 300mm or a foot in old money of rock wool or glass fiber. you can get plastic legs that screw to the joists to raise the floor boards above the level of the insulation if you want to keep your storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Pensioner Pete

Many thanks for the information Daithi. Much appreciated. I will go ahead with the cavity filling. The attic could be a messy job with electricity and alarm cables and in addition part of the floor "permanently" floored. But I might put some additional insulation on the un-floored section.
    Many thanks again for the prompt reply.

Happy Easter

Pensioner Pete

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

dathi wrote: »
    use beads , foam is not certified for use in a cavity wall, only the beads have "nsai certs" as to your attic the recommended amount of insulation is 300mm or a foot in old money of rock wool or glass fiber. you can get plastic legs that screw to the joists to raise the floor boards above the level of the insulation if you want to keep your storage.

Those plastic clip on/screw in legs are 1 euro 50 cents each in B&Q at the moment.

I dont know how much faith I would put in them though regarding flooring,storing items and walking on them,with rgards their load bearing strength???:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Pensioner Pete

Thanks Paddy...appreciate the information. Dont think that I will go for those plastic legs....Regards Pensioner Pete

Advertisement