Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gadgets - hand held thermometers

Options
  • 27-03-2013 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭

How do plumbers measure/validate/verify the temperature of heating circuits and hot water circuits? I would have thought a hand held thermometers which you press against the relevant pipework would be a normal sort of gadget to do this.

I checked in Chadwicks this morning but the guy said they don't do them. I thought it seemed odd for a plumbing place not to have them or something equivalent. If you want to validate the temperature coming from a boiler and then (say) the temperature at the radiators or shower head would you not need something more than a hand pressed up against both pipes to do the check?

So, to the question is - where do I get such a thermometer? This is an image of what I had in mind, but I guess there's specific plumber-y versions - http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9030576/Trail/searchtext%3ETHERMOMETER.htm

Thanks,

z

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

There used to be a round Brass Magnetic type Thermometers which you could get. They where used for checking the Temp of Rads and pipes. You would just hold next to the Rad and the Magnet would clamp it on to the Rad. Leave it there for a few minutes, Take the Temperature of the Rad and pull it off when finished.
    I haven't seen them for a while but somewhere like Smallmans might have them or something similar.
    I think you can get a small digital type now but I don't know what plumbers are using, I'm sure someone will know.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Tried to find something for balancing my rads a few months back... no luck.

Best option might be a multimeter with a temp gauge function.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

try Antons infra red non contact thermometer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

zagmund wrote: »
    How do plumbers measure/validate/verify the temperature of heating circuits and hot water circuits? I would have thought a hand held thermometers which you press against the relevant pipework would be a normal sort of gadget to do this.

I checked in Chadwicks this morning but the guy said they don't do them. I thought it seemed odd for a plumbing place not to have them or something equivalent. If you want to validate the temperature coming from a boiler and then (say) the temperature at the radiators or shower head would you not need something more than a hand pressed up against both pipes to do the check?

So, to the question is - where do I get such a thermometer? This is an image of what I had in mind, but I guess there's specific plumber-y versions - http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9030576/Trail/searchtext%3ETHERMOMETER.htm

Thanks,

z

Most Flue gas analysers have connections for temperature sensors, being that the FGA are caliborated annualy you can trust the results, an alternative option most in the trade would have is a Multi Meter with Temperature Thermistor.
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/philex-83002r-s-digital-multimeter-with-temp-probe/88381#

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭spireland32

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

most plumbing places are rubbish for plumbing tools

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Thanks all for the replies. I've gone looking for my old multimeter to see if it has a temperature probe but can only find the box it came in. If I can't find it, I will probably buy a new one from the links above.

z

Advertisement