Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We need some holidays

Options
  • 27-03-2013 8:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭

Caught to work on Friday as I'm the only filthy atheist in the office. Everyone else is taking the proverbial by taking the day off "for religious observance", but I can't really justify it so will be spending the day just me & the boss.

We need to designate some athiest observance days

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Dunno. We already have Zombie Present Day and Eat Three Meals of Chocolate Day. I kind of like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I propose having the day after easter Monday as Reason Day. We can use the ensuing four day weekend to ponder the mysteriousness of reality. Over pints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Pi Approximation Day would be a good one. Another day of Summer holidays anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

Maybe Richard Dawkins' birthday should be a holiday

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

decisions wrote: »
    Pi Approximation Day would be a good one.
    Behold Pi Day, two weeks ago:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pi_Day

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

I know all about pi day, I even celebrated it with some home made apple pie.

But if atheists are going to start choosing days,we should be tactical about it, I'd much prefer a day or 3 in the middle of the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Maybe the Friday of a bank holiday, nice long weekend with a lie in on Monday. I could live with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Pi Approximation Day would be a good one. Another day of Summer holidays anyone?

I suggest we have it on 22/7 every year.:)

Edit - never mind, just checked the wiki article above it is on the 22/7

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'm confused. Since when did companies start allowing people Good Friday off based on their faith or lack of it?
    Do they check 'mass stamps' too to make sure people are "practicing"?

Our place allows it as it's an American company and I guess someone told them it's a holiday for all the Oirish here.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

My current place closes on Good Friday but gives 21 days annual leave to compensate.

Since atheists lack any kind of cohesive dogma - many will shun Dawkins, or Sagan, or the big bang, or evolution - I suggest we emulate the religions we have shunned and simply steal their holidays. Every religious holiday will henceforth be known as a day of "fnck off and stop annoying me with your religious bull" where we go to the pub and attempt to partake in every activity which is banned by the various religions on that day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

seamus wrote: »
    Every religious holiday will henceforth be known as a day of "fnck off and stop annoying me with your religious bull" where we go to the pub and attempt to partake in every activity which is banned by the various religions on that day.
    Except for the one on this Friday of course.

Dogma 1 - Heathens 0

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Ours just closes on good friday...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Friday is a normal working day here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

The place I'm currently working is closed from Good Friday until April 8th. The benefits of being in a place associated with a religious order :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

For the seinfeld fans out there - festivus is defo a keeper.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I know all about pi day, I even celebrated it with some home made apple pie.

But if atheists are going to start choosing days,we should be tactical about it, I'd much prefer a day or 3 in the middle of the summer.

3 days in the middle of an Irish Summer would be impossible to work out in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

I'm forced to take Friday as an annual leave day!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I will adhere to a David Attenborough Day holiday when the good lord doesnt rise again.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Dunno. We already have Zombie Present Day and Eat Three Meals of Chocolate Day.
    Shouldn't this Sunday be called "Zombie Sunday"?

iDave wrote: »
    I'm forced to take Friday as an annual leave day!

OH usually has Friday as her day off because she has to do a Cork to Shannon return drive every 2 weeks for personal reasons but has been told she has to work this Friday to do stock-take as that is the perfect day for it due to store being closed.

She was tempted to dig out some of the Catlick doodahs her mother keeps hiding in her car (to keep her safe if she has an accident* :eek:) and waving them around to demonstrate her religiosity and demand the day off but decided instead to start on the stock take on Monday in hopes of finishing early before doing the dreaded drive.

*Latest find was this dinky little wallet containing a 'miraculous' medal, a picture of St Christopher and a card saying 'I am a Catholic. In the event of an accident please call a Priest' tucked in behind her collection of Queer music CDs. My Mam only gave me a medical alert bracelet...:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Friday is already a barman's holiday so I'm ok for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,402 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Dades wrote: »
    I'm confused. Since when did companies start allowing people Good Friday off based on their faith or lack of it?
    Do they check 'mass stamps' too to make sure people are "practicing"?

I might be wrong on this, but I'm pretty certain that if you work a bank holiday you are entitled to a paid day's leave, the next religious holiday off, or double time (something like that) - so maybe people requested the day off.

Friday is not a bank holiday/official holiday in Ireland, so unless your company offers the day off at their discretion, there's no additional benefits to working Friday.

Our company works to the English bank holidays, so long weekend for me (woo).

Don't agree that there should be another summer holiday though, maybe something in the depths of February would be good...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

robindch wrote: »
    I've been wanting to rewatch The Walking Dead. I guess Sunday will be the day for it.
    Bannasidhe wrote:
    *Latest find was this dinky little wallet containing a 'miraculous' medal, a picture of St Christopher and a card saying 'I am a Catholic. In the event of an accident please call a Priest'

What the hell use will a priest be if she has an accident? Is this some kind of Surgeon/Priest, or do they provide bona fide miracle healing these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Hurrah for the school calendar, is all I'll say.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

'To the priestmobile'.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Our place opens Good Friday but you get an extra days holiday if you work it, thanks Jesus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

robindch wrote: »
    How embarassing, I've gotten the magical bull**** all mixed up. :o

kylith wrote: »
    I've been wanting to rewatch The Walking Dead. I guess Sunday will be the day for it.

What the hell use will a priest be if she has an accident? Is this some kind of Surgeon/Priest, or do they provide bona fide miracle healing these days?

My reaction was along the lines of "you better not have an accident while I'm in the car as so help me I will haunt your 'shure what harm like' ass if the last thing I see is a 'ucking priest."

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

OU812 wrote: »
    Everyone else is taking the proverbial by taking the day off "for religious observance",

Find evidence of them boozing and get 'em fired :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Maybe a special day off work where all non-believers go door to door to spread the gospel?

Like, "Good afternoon madam, have you experienced the boundless love and joy that emanates from the heart of Our Saviour Jesus Christ?"
    "Er, no..."
    "Me neither. Good day!"

Advertisement