Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photovoltaic Panels

Options
  • 26-03-2013 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi lads,

I'm thinking about installing photovoltaic panels but don't know a lot about them. I've two choices of installation available. First one is I foot the installation bill and claim back the production tariff which is about 17p/kw. Cost is about £8500. The second one is the company leases my roof for 20 years, they install and maintain the system. I get the free electricity but they get the tariff. The tariff is gareenteed by the government for 17 years.

Just wondering has anyone else got this system installed and how it's performing. The company is HIS solutions. I already have a wood pellet and solar panel system installed which is working well for the last 6 years. Would love to tackle the electricity bill!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭freddyuk

Well if you rent your roof out the tariff is completely irrelevant to you. You just need to ensure that you use every penny of power produced or store it as hot water( or any other medium that may be viable). If you sell your house within the lease period you may have issues.
    The tariff of 17p pkwh comes from where?? From the lease company? Do you have an EPC?
    What does the contract say exactly? The company leases your roof for 20 years but the tariff is guaranteed for 17 years?? I do not follow the logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 peter65

The payment of 17pkwh is from the NIROC scheme and is gareenteed for 20 years and its index linked. This is the contract that u sign up to if you pay for it yourself. The feed in tariff of 5.41pkwh is payable on top of this from PowerNI. The 17 years was incorrect, that applies to the RHI scheme in Great Britain. What's an epc?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 johnny3555

I'm interested in this tread. I am building a new passive house and would like to install photovoltaic panels. I have no experience of using photovoltaic panels but am keen to learn more. I just have one storage heater in the proposed house and wonder if solar PV would contribute most of the power needed for this in the winter months.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

johnny3555 wrote: »
    I'm interested in this tread. I am building a new passive house and would like to install photovoltaic panels. I have no experience of using photovoltaic panels but am keen to learn more. I just have one storage heater in the proposed house and wonder if solar PV would contribute most of the power needed for this in the winter months.
    In a word NO.

longer answer, you'd need LOTS of them to heat a storage heater on an overcast day, probably better off with solar thermal / wind and even then only after you have maxed out on insulation

1.5m2 gives you ~ 240 watts when aligned to sun at it's brightest
    so after 4 hours you'd get barely one unit of electricity
    and that's on a day that you need to wear sunglasses
    http://www.ecologics.ie/wp-content/uploads/techdocs/pv/solar_pv_235W_poly.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 4 johnny3555

Many thanks for this - it makes sense as there is little sun in winter when the current is needed. Yes we are going for high levels of insulation and air tightness together with the other Passive House principles. Off peak electricity will have to suffice for storage heater and hot water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,424 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Have you a night rate meter, if not then you won't have off peak rates. If so then you need to be using a good bit. Night to compensate for the additional charges

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

johnny3555 wrote: »
    Many thanks for this - it makes sense as there is little sun in winter when the current is needed.

Also depends on your location. If you are in Donegal you may have average only 1 hour of sunshine per day in winter , with Wexford having twice that
    http://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/sunshine.asp

Advertisement