Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT Career Crossroads

Options
  • 26-03-2013 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

Hi Lads, could really do with some opinions here please.

I am currently working as a field engineer and getting lots of experience with client pcs Hardware / Software and a certain amount of networking. However, been a field engineer, I am losing out on the server admin side of things. I have a MSCA 2003 and done the A+ & N+ a while back but am getting tired of being out on the road all of the time.

I was thinking of getting into the Cisco side of things, or sticking with Microsoft and updating my certs, and try to get a Network Admin job.

I know with Cisco, its a bit more specialized, the pay is a bit better, but getting the training \ certs is expensive.

I am getting to the stage of my life where I would like to home into a particular area and work in that area (if you know what I mean).

Its great having certs, but all the certs in the world does not substitute hands on experience, which is where I am losing out.

Any opinions would be very welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

I was basically about to write the same thread as you, I'm working as a Field engineer too although my first year doing it in my first IT job, but I want to start doing an evening course but dunno which way to go.. I done CCNA course but left before the end to take this job, but to be honest I had a crap teacher and wouldn't of passed the exams anyway.. (2 passed out of 20 in the class)

My problem is I want to stay out on the road.. the thoughts of been stuck in an office looking at the same faces everyday really doesn't appeal to me so i'm wondering what course would be my best way to go..

Advertisement