Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxford Lego Clone - Opinions?

Options
  • 26-03-2013 6:02pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm sure anyone who has been in Smyths toystores over the past year or so and has been purchasing or perusing the Lego section can't have helped noticed the "Oxford" Lego clone sets that are beside the real Lego ones.

I know Lego has rival companies who also produce building toys such as Mega Bloks - and they say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery - but the Oxford sets look to me very like direct rip offs from lego, including city, police, space, castle sets etc.:confused:

OXFORD-Logo.jpg

Oxford police minifigs
    OXFORD-Police-Minifigs.gif

They do seem somewhat cheaper than Lego sets but I presume the quality of the plastic and the mouldings are inferior to real Lego.

A few questions to fellow Lego fans:

Has anyone bought the Oxford sets and how do they compare with bona-fide Lego?

Why hasn't Lego sued Oxford for such blatant rip offs? From the set themes right down to the minifigs?

Does anyone think that companies like Oxford are complementary to real Lego? Or a long-term threat?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 tusmaith

hello JupiterKid,
    I spent the morning building a Oxford Ship - see a review here:
    http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=61711

I have to say that the quality is excellent! I will definitely buy more of these.
    the only thing that I didn't like is that the bags are not numbered as the Lego ones are. I opened each bag and my 5 yr old help sort the bits out before starting to make the model.

As for the legals, I have no idea about this question.

As for Oxford being a threat long term to Lego, I wouldn't imagine so. the market is large enough for a bit of competition. IMO Lego's branding etc. looks better and true Lego fans will remain loyal to the brand that they love.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

We have bought a number of these sets.

The quality is excellent, absolutely flawless - indistinguishable from legos own various bits of massively overpriced plastic.

Lego are an 'out on their own' rip-off at this stage in all fairness.

- I have come to despise Lego's profiteering, perhaps if everyone shunned them and bought Korean 'Lego' then the real Lego folks would be forced to adopt some ethics and stop ripping parents of with grossly overpriced, tiny lego sets - ie. 16 pieces in a tiny box for €40 etc. etc.

Here's a link from a Lego enthusiast which gets down to the minutiae http://thebrickblogger.com/2011/07/oxford-toys-overview/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Raiser wrote: »
    We have bought a number of these sets.

The quality is excellent, absolutely flawless - indistinguishable from legos own various bits of massively overpriced plastic.

Lego are an 'out on their own' rip-off at this stage in all fairness.

- I have come to despise Lego's profiteering, perhaps if everyone shunned them and bought Korean 'Lego' then the real Lego folks would be forced to adopt some ethics and stop ripping parents of with grossly overpriced, tiny lego sets - ie. 16 pieces in a tiny box for €40 etc. etc.

Here's a link from a Lego enthusiast which gets down to the minutiae http://thebrickblogger.com/2011/07/oxford-toys-overview/

Lego is almost entirely made in Denmark, one of the highest cost economies in the world. Oxford, etc, are made in the far east. You can't compare prices in this scenario, but you can compare actual business ethics.

If you can show me a set that cost €40 for "16 pieces in a tiny box", do, otherwise you should probably cut the hyperbole back a bit. The cost of Lego has come down massively in real terms in the past 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭lostboy75

MYOB wrote: »
    Lego is almost entirely made in Denmark, one of the highest cost economies in the world.

not too sure how true that statement is anymore. the box should state where the parts are actually made but they have factories in Denmark, Hungary, Mexico, China, and the Czech Republic.
    One example is the Collectible Minifigures, which are susposed to be exclusively produced in China

now i am not with raiser on this, i like my lego to be "lego" and am, so far, happy to pay the difference, anyway whens the last time anyone paid RRP for lego.

well i have i suspose, but only for a some impulse buys.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

I'd argue about the equality its not bad but its not as good as Lego. Having said that Lego is too expensive for what you get! Pity as I can't stop buying new star wars sets...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The Star Wars Lego sets are definitely overpriced for what you get, as are the Super heroes ones too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

lostboy75 wrote: »
    not too sure how true that statement is anymore. the box should state where the parts are actually made but they have factories in Denmark, Hungary, Mexico, China, and the Czech Republic.
    One example is the Collectible Minifigures, which are susposed to be exclusively produced in China

now i am not with raiser on this, i like my lego to be "lego" and am, so far, happy to pay the difference, anyway whens the last time anyone paid RRP for lego.

well i have i suspose, but only for a some impulse buys.

Czech Republic is packaging. China does hand-painted parts. Mexico replaced Enfield (not our one) for US production as far as I know and Hungary does Duplo.

Their cost base is significantly higher than a far eastern firm.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭lostboy75

MYOB wrote: »
    China does hand-painted parts. .

and as i mentioned i have no problem paying the extra for Lego. my post was about you saying that almost all Lego is made in Denmark, and its just not anymore.

from another forum
    "LEGO outsources some parts (complicated mold or print, also non-licensed BPs) to a plant in China that uses different plastic. Notables are the Collectible Minifigs, Castle BPs, and ultra-detailed Star Wars molds (Tauntaun, Ewok, etc.) Quality used to be bad; it's getting better, but still not on par with European brick. For sets in boxes, look on the top panel where it says 'Components made in...' to check if it contains China Plastic. China Plastic feels a little lighter, isn't as shiny, and minifig limbs have numbered indentations on them on their inner sides (side facing the torso/hips) "

they are also building a new factory in Hungary for both lines, Lego and Duplo. though the existing factory there was susposed to be making both? but mainly Duplo

I am not trying to get into an arguement with you, i agree with you, most of their cost base is europe based and is just not comparable with a purely eastern outfit.

Advertisement