Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vern Cotter returning to NZ at end of contract.

Options
  • 26-03-2013 3:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭

According to @canalplus, Vern Cotter will be leaving Clermont at the end of his contract in 2014 to return to New Zealand.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Gracelessly Tom

The same time as Joe heads back as well. Mere coincidence??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Vern & Joe NZ head and backs coach?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

decisions wrote: »

Hansen will still be there until the next WC anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

They won't jump straight in the ABs job. Who's the current blues coach? Will they have a spot open in 2014/15? They could step in after the next WC after a successfull season with a S15 team.

.ak wrote: »
    They won't jump straight in the ABs job. Who's the current blues coach? Will they have a spot open in 2014/15? They could step in after the next WC after a successfull season with a S15 team.

John Kirwan.

Contract is up at the end of 2014.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

John Kirwan, and I can't see him leaving.

But Cotter is a Crusaders man I think so maybe that's where they'll end up. Dunno how Blackadder is seen down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Isn't it gas that here we are talking about the NZRU having the foresight to consider candidates that far in advance (not that they necessarily do) and yet we've absolutely no idea who will be coaching Ireland in a few months!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

molloyjh wrote: »
    Isn't it gas that here we are talking about the NZRU having the foresight to consider candidates that far in advance (not that they necessarily do) and yet we've absolutely no idea who will be coaching Ireland in a few months!

We won't have any Irish coaches of the provinces next season whereas the NZ Super teams are predominantly, if not all, are Kiwi's. There's a pattern here......!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

We're fast becoming a coach academy for the NZRFU.

Not good for coaches in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Winters wrote: »
    We're fast becoming a coach academy for the NZRFU.

Not good for coaches in Ireland.

and Australia ...

Williams, Gaffney, Jim Williams, McGahan, Cheika and Jason Holland is going back to Canterbury as backs coach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I think it's a good thing tbh. Working with them can only be a good thing for the likes of Girve, Foley and the other native coaches.

And that's at the pro level. God knows how many NZ, Oz and SA coaches there are at amateur level.

I'm trying not to be rude here but it cant be good for the development of Irish rugby or is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Don't care what nationality coaches the provinces or Ireland as long as they're successful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

Teferi wrote: »
    Don't care what nationality coaches the provinces or Ireland as long as they're successful.

Except the dutch

"
    There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.
    "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

I love the Dutch, great bunch of lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

I love the Dutch, great bunch of lads.

Nigel Powers in Goldmember didn't

Teferi wrote: »

Why? Do you care what nationality the players are?

give me the best coaches that will improve irish rugby regardless of nationality

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Winters wrote: »
    Why? Do you care what nationality the players are?

The players who play for Ireland have to be Irish Qualified. You are effectively stuck with what you have so it is in the interest of the IRFU to develop players as far as they can.

The coach who coaches Ireland does not have to be Irish. You choose the best person for the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

Much like the Irish rugby public basically doesn't watch SXV, and definitely not ITM cup, NZ fans do not generally follow HEC and definitely not Top 14. Vern could win the Top 14 and Joe the HEC year after year, but it wouldn't register with the NZ public, and they are therefore not currently at the top of the pecking order to replace Hansen (and not currently eligible either)

If Hansen goes post 2015, leading candidates would probably be

1) The current co-coaches if NZ win in 2015, probably not if they lose
    2) Warren Gatland, if the Lions win
    3) Dave Rennie if the Chiefs keep going well

Cotter was assistant at the Crusaders (04-06) when they finished 2/1/1 and Schmidt was assistant coach at the Blues (04-07) when they finished 5/7/8/4, and was rumoured to have not got on too well with the Blues management. They both previously coached BOP at ITM cup level, lifting the Ranfurly shield.

They need to secure SXV coaching positions AND reach the knockout stages at a minimum to pout their names back into the ring. I reckon the Highlanders job is most likely to become available, but if Blackadder doesn't succeed with the Crusaders then that might open up too.

• Advertisement

Still praying Tim will decide he wants to go to college in Dublin and Joe decides to stay. I can hope right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

John Kirwan, and I can't see him leaving.

But Cotter is a Crusaders man I think so maybe that's where they'll end up. Dunno how Blackadder is seen down there.

JK will definitely get 2013 & 2014 - but if he doesn't get results (mid-table this year, knockout stages next year), he will be gone.

Blackadder is a Crusaders legend, like what BOD is to Leinster and POC to Munster, leading them to 2 or 3 SXV titles as captain. He is good coach, and would probably have won the title in 2011, but for all the post-earthquake travel the Crusaders did which played into the Reds' hands in the final. However, for a province used to winning SXV titles it's been a while, so he might not be so secure if he doesn't pick up a title. If he misses the knockout stages this year, he'd be gone I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Jamie Joseph is really under pressure after making so many big signings and starting so badly . . .

This season that is.

Advertisement