Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoking Solid Fuel Stove

Options
  • 26-03-2013 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I installed a small stove into the lounge fireplace last year and it has been used about 15-20 times. When I tried to light today it started pouring smoke out through the top intake control vent designed to place an air curtain between the glass and fire to keep the glass clean. It was all clean in the dust box and had been drawing well before this. When cool I examined the interior and found that whereas I had thought before that the smoke went straight out the right angle bend at the back it was more complicated. From what I can see it appears to actually go into a narrow roof opening at the front and then back to escape into the chimney. There is a screwed round cover on the top. I am assuming there is a blockage in this void which is causing this but there may well be something else which is why I am posting. I am surprised if this is the case after such little use and would ask as well if there are more suitable fuels if soot is the problem.

Thank you very much for any assistance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Bogjumper wrote: »
    I installed a small stove into the lounge fireplace last year and it has been used about 15-20 times. When I tried to light today it started pouring smoke out through the top intake control vent designed to place an air curtain between the glass and fire to keep the glass clean. It was all clean in the dust box and had been drawing well before this. When cool I examined the interior and found that whereas I had thought before that the smoke went straight out the right angle bend at the back it was more complicated. From what I can see it appears to actually go into a narrow roof opening at the front and then back to escape into the chimney. There is a screwed round cover on the top. I am assuming there is a blockage in this void which is causing this but there may well be something else which is why I am posting. I am surprised if this is the case after such little use and would ask as well if there are more suitable fuels if soot is the problem.

Thank you very much for any assistance
    What are you burning
    Sounds as there's possibly flue blockage ventilation issue

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Bogjumper

Hi

Burning premium polish coal and turf. Tried to get the cover off today but screws refuse to budge so its getting close to the dynamite time.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Bogjumper wrote: »
    Hi

Burning premium polish coal and turf. Tried to get the cover off today but screws refuse to budge so its getting close to the dynamite time.

Thanks
    Polish coal is not suitable for burning in stoves.Antracite is the coal of choice for them

Hi Robbie

Apologies for the delay in replying and thanks for your tip. However for some reason the instructions that came with it say no to antharcite. I have managed to get the
    top off today and there is a dip at the back which was full of gunge into the right angle bend. hoovered it out and spent the rest of the morning cleaning the hoover. Have to get new screws as the present ones are knackered. I have now been advised that one should clean it at least once a month. Quite frankly that is ridiculous.
    If it was your only source of heating in a very cold country ????. Just a word of warning to anyone buying stoves check this point out. They surely can not all be the same. We had a cast iron range back in the fiftys which my mother used every day and I can not remember any such palaver.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Could you post make, model and maybe some pictures as considering getting a stove and would like to avoid yours!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Stop using smokey coal and it will be fine.

Will look for smokeless ?? I assume. Thanks for the tip.
    Im afraid its a no name brand see photo attached. I will say other than this problem it works well and if the smokeless fuel works thats great.

Advertisement