Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shed floor damp/draught sealing and treating questions?

Options
  • 25-03-2013 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

A bit of background first before I ask you good people for some advise.
    I've just built myself a 10ft x 10ft garden shed from scratch to house my motorbike and tools and to use as a mini workshop/mancave. I live in a rented house so it's constructed in such a way that each wall/roof section simply bolts together if I ever move house (flatpack design) and in each corner I have adjustible threaded feet to level it and keep the whole shed off the ground (cant lay a concrete base due to rented house and can only have the shed situated on a lawn). The frame is constructed from 50mm box section and clad with reclaimed 80mm box profile insulated panels to help prevent condensation. I have purchaced secondhand scaffolding planks to floor the shed and these will sit on the 50mm box section frame and cross members.

My first question is how should I go about sealing underneath my planks to prevent damp ingress and reduce heat loss/draughts?

Second, what wood treatment/preserver should I apply to my planks to keep them in good nick?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭genuine leather

Hey scudster
    The fact that its a temp structure, i d be inclined to fit a 1000/1200 guage plastic to the top of your cross beams first and turned up the sides maybe 6 inches, then i would lay sheets of 50mm rigid insulation(3/4 sheets needed depending on span of beams,and centered over each)on top of that lay 3/4 sheets of 12 mm plywood and lay down your planks on top of that. the ply would protect the planks from damaging the insulation.
    i feel there would be no need for wood preserve as they are protected from the damp underneath. Just my two pence worth
    Hope this helps
    GL

Advertisement