Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

back boiler or other

Options
  • 25-03-2013 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

I built my home 9 years ago and done all my plumbing in plastic. I done the plumbing myself with the help of an aprentice plumber. Its a 2200sq ft dormer bungalow with 12 rads and im wonder is it possible to just connect a back boiler or large woos buring stove to the 2 3qtr pipes under the screed so i can heat my rads/water etc,

I have been talking to 2 plumbers and im getting confliting advice. One says i can, tge other says i cant. The one who says i cant told me that the system will end up with to much pressure and it will blow up and can be really dangerous. Would this be the case, if so, what alternatives have i got.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

newbie2013 wrote: »
    I built my home 9 years ago and done all my plumbing in plastic. I done the plumbing myself with the help of an aprentice plumber. Its a 2200sq ft dormer bungalow with 12 rads and im wonder is it possible to just connect a back boiler or large woos buring stove to the 2 3qtr pipes under the screed so i can heat my rads/water etc,

I have been talking to 2 plumbers and im getting confliting advice. One says i can, tge other says i cant. The one who says i cant told me that the system will end up with to much pressure and it will blow up and can be really dangerous. Would this be the case, if so, what alternatives have i got.
    If your boiler has 4 ports on the back and your system meets certain critera then yes you can. Two pipes go to the rads with a pump in copper and 2 1" MUST rise to your open vented cyclinder( cannot be a pressurised cyclinder ) to a seperate coil just for the stove. You cannot do this yourself as it is extremely dangerous messing with solid fuel. Another thing of great importance is your heating system must also be open vented and not sealed.
    Get advise from a plumber who has worked on solid fuel before.
    Once again don't attempt this yourself. Solid fuel installations are not for DIYers, no matter how competent they think they are

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭TPM

In a word NO, You cannot just connect any solid fuel boiler to 2 3/4" plastic pipes.

As Dtp said there are alot of requirements related to solid fuel boilers, and if they are not all met, it can result in a dangerous installation. Get a plumber who knows solid fuel to have a look at it.

If there is no copper in your house, you could be looking at an expensive installation

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭newbie2013

Thanks for the replies guys. I think i will listen and get a heating engineer or plumber to do it because dont want to cause anything dangerous in the house. Just out of curiousity, would it all have to done in copper because if it is then i wont be doing it because it would cost to much. I thought it was just a matter of conecting into the plastic pipes with just a few meters of copper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

Thanks for the replies guys. I think i will listen and get a heating engineer or plumber to do it because dont want to cause anything dangerous in the house. Just out of curiousity, would it all have to done in copper because if it is then i wont be doing it because it would cost to much. I thought it was just a matter of conecting into the plastic pipes with just a few meters of copper.
    Use copper

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭TPM

Plastic pipes generally state they are not to be used within 1m of a boiler, but this is for oil or gas boilers where the water temperature can be controlled and with additional over heat protection.
    For solid fuel the Primary coil must be 1" copper all the way to the cylinder and back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭newbie2013

TPM wrote: »

Plastic pipes generally state they are not to be used within 1m of a boiler, but this is for oil or gas boilers where the water temperature can be controlled and with additional over heat protection.
    For solid fuel the Primary coil must be 1" copper all the way to the cylinder and back

If thats the case then id have to dig up the kitchen floor etc so its a no-no :(

Advertisement