Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUSI keeps loosing my stuff!!

Options
  • 25-03-2013 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

I'm making this thread for a friend who still hasn't received his SUSI Grant for 2012/13. He's got to the stage where they're looking for all his stuff (p60s, p21s etc.). He's sent them on now several times only to hear nothing back and when he eventually rings they say they didn't receive anything. The last time he sent them on he rang a few days later to make sure they received them and the girl on the phone to him they just got them but they hadn't looked at them yet. That was about a month ago and he hasn't heard anything back yet so he rang earlier today, and can you guess what they said???...they hadn't received anything!!! They also told him that this Friday is the deadline for sending in anything for 2012/13. He can't get all his stuff together again by Friday because his father is retired from the army and takes 5 working days to come or something (not that it would make a difference because they'd just throw it in the bin lose it again ), what can he do because none of this is his fault??
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭cairdre

I would advise him to phone SUSI and take no nonsense be polite but firm. Give dates etc when he posted them. Ask them about their systems for logging incoming post. f he can remember the date that he phoned them and the person answering the phone confirmed they had got them he should request that they check their mail logs for that date. He needs to stand his ground and refuse to go away.

I have heard this before and when the person refuses to back down they magically find the missing docs.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 40,980 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

he should go to his student union and ask them for help/advice

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Clutchkick

He's doing a PLC course so he hasn't got one to turn to.

Clutchkick wrote: »

ok - from what I've heard TDs have direct lines to SUSI. He could call a local TD (if Cairdres advice does not work)

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SuSi: Reps

I'm making this thread for a friend who still hasn't received his SUSI Grant for 2012/13. He's got to the stage where they're looking for all his stuff (p60s, p21s etc.). He's sent them on now several times only to hear nothing back and when he eventually rings they say they didn't receive anything. The last time he sent them on he rang a few days later to make sure they received them and the girl on the phone to him they just got them but they hadn't looked at them yet. That was about a month ago and he hasn't heard anything back yet so he rang earlier today, and can you guess what they said???...they hadn't received anything!!! They also told him that this Friday is the deadline for sending in anything for 2012/13. He can't get all his stuff together again by Friday because his father is retired from the army and takes 5 working days to come or something (not that it would make a difference because they'd just throw it in the bin lose it again ), what can he do because none of this is his fault??

Hi there,

If you would you like, you may ask your friend to contact me here directly via PM or on Facebook or Twitter via the following links and I will review his account and help in any way I can:

http://www.facebook.com/susisupport?ref=hl

https://twitter.com/Susihelpdesk

This applies for anybody else whom requires assistance regarding SuSi queries.

Kind regards,
    Robbie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Kalimah

Pretty much the same thing happened to my son. We were eventually awarded 25% of the maintenance grant ( $305) euro.

In the case of PLCs the fees are not covered EXCEPT in the case of the €200 government levy part of the fee which grant awardees are not liable for.
    In our case we paid €750 fees last September(including the €200 government levy) as we didn't know if we would get a grant or not. You can never be totally sure of it.
    Because SUSI took so long to award the grant the college are now saying it is too late to for us to be refunded the €200.
    A rather condescending email from the college informed me that you had to " apply early" for grants. Hilarious since we applied last July/August and it took til last week to get the award letter.
    I have a formal complaint lodged with SUSI.

Kalimah wrote: »
    Pretty much the same thing happened to my son. We were eventually awarded 25% of the maintenance grant ( $305) euro.

In the case of PLCs the fees are not covered EXCEPT in the case of the €200 government levy part of the fee which grant awardees are not liable for.
    In our case we paid €750 fees last September(including the €200 government levy) as we didn't know if we would get a grant or not. You can never be totally sure of it.
    Because SUSI took so long to award the grant the college are now saying it is too late to for us to be refunded the €200.
    A rather condescending email from the college informed me that you had to " apply early" for grants. Hilarious since we applied last July/August and it took til last week to get the award letter.
    I have a formal complaint lodged with SUSI.
    That doesnt make sense really - Did SUSI give the college the €200?

It's also not quite what CIB are saying

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/fees_and_supports_for_third_level_education/maintenance_grant_schemes_for_students_on_third_level_courses.html

Students doing Post-Leaving Certificate (PLC) courses do not get fee grants, but if you qualify for a maintenance grant you will be exempt from the PLC participant contribution.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/vocational_education_and_training/training_and_apprentiship_programmes/post_leaving_certificate_courses.html
    You do not have to pay the contribution if:

You hold a full medical card in your own right
    You are the dependent child of a full medical card holder
    You are eligible for a student grant
    You are getting Back to Education Allowance or a VTOS allowance

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Kalimah

Actually I had looked at the citizens information at the time and if I had been thinking properly I would have held back on the €200 levy. I don't know do the college get it from SUSI? Presumably if it's a government levy the college have passed mine on to some government department. Either way I want it back.
    I think I will email the college one more time and ask them who they pass it on to and follow it up with the relevant authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Regarding plc courses, SUSI don't give anything to the plc centers. Its just that the €200 euro govt levy should be waived for people in receipt of social Welfare or with a medical card or who are within he grant limits, afaik.

However its only the €200 euro that is waived. All plc centers would have their own center charges on top of this so more than likely you will have to pay some form of registration fee to a plc college. This can vary depending on the center and the course.
    E.G. Our local plc college charges a basic registration fee of €300.
    €200 of this is waived for anyone who is in the categories above but they are still liable for the €100.

Advertisement