Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox Live WiFi Connection Problem

Options
  • 25-03-2013 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭

Apologies for the long post, I've tried to be as detailed as possible. I've posted this in the wireless forum too.

Last week, I was issued a new router by Eircom. It's a Zyxel, though apparently one of a new and improved batch that's only been available for a month. Every device in my house could connect to it via WiFi, apart from the Xbox. It would keep failing at the internet connection stage, saying that there were DNS errors. I tried every piece of advice I could find, manual DNS settings, no firewall, DMZ, port forwarding but no luck. Rang Eircom and despite them trying, no solution.

After reading previous Eircom Zyxel routers were not the best, I decided to purchase a TP-Link w8961nd router instead. Unfortunately, this was no improvement. The XBL connection was still failing at the internet stage, despite port forwarding etc.

I moved the Xbox to a different location (which isn't a permanent option) and connected it via Ethernet cable. This actually worked, I could sign into XBL. Strangely, I tried the wireless option straight after and I could connect to XBL too. I could see who was online etc but when I actually went to play a multiplayer match, it would kick me out/ disconnect from XBL.

After moving the Xbox back to its original location, I read online that if I downgraded my WiFi security from WPA2 to WEP it might work. To my surprise, it did. Not only could I sign in but I could actually get into multiplayer games too. However, it was unstable. It would take a few attempts to connect to XBL and I could play a multiplayer match for no more than 5 minutes without being booted/ disconnected. Once again, tried port forwarding, DMZ, etc but no help. Now,after upgrading my WiFi security to WPA, I'm back to not being able to get past the internet stage when testing my connection.

I've tried a friend's Xbox in my house too and his had the same problems so it's not a fault with my console.

Does anyone have any advice? I've wasted hours on this so far but no results. Thanks for anyone who has anything.

Comments

Advertisement