Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Route 142 - why?

Options
  • 25-03-2013 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭

I find it very hard to imagine the rationale for route 142.

During weekday morning rush there are 4 buses from Portmarnock to Rathmines. During the evening weekday rush there are 4 buses from rathmines to Portmarnock.

Thats it. Nothing outside those 4 departures each way and nothing on weekends.

What exactly is the point of this route?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,310 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It provides a semi-express service from Portmarnock/Malahide/part of Swords to the city centre and parts of the south city via the port tunnel and docklands.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,583 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

It's a peak hour semi-express service similar to the Xpresso routes.

It also provides Holywell estate with a peak hour service to/from the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

OK, but if that is so, then there is really no reason for it to go anywhere near Rathmines. It could as easily terminate in Merrion Square like so many other routes. Certainly it is of no evident use to Rathmines commuters.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,310 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I've used it to get from Rathmines to Malahide a few times and I've seen people get on at Rathmines, whether they are only going to the city or further.

Maybe the buses return as route 140?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭AngryLips

lxflyer wrote: »
    It's a peak hour semi-express service similar to the Xpresso routes.

Maybe it's a failure in marketing, maybe they should have just called it an Xpresso service to begin with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

OK, but if that is so, then there is really no reason for it to go anywhere near Rathmines. It could as easily terminate in Merrion Square like so many other routes. Certainly it is of no evident use to Rathmines commuters.

I don't see why it shouldn't go to Rathmines. Its a very busy area and provides a unique peak time connection. The evening departures certainly carry good numbers between Rathmines and the city centre. What makes you say it's of no use?
    AngryLips wrote: »
    Maybe it's a failure in marketing, maybe they should have just called it an Xpresso service to begin with?

But it's different from an Xpresso service, serving every stop and operates to the regular fare structure.

The route is very popular with commuters, with every bus usually at full capacity running through the tunnel. I believe there is enough demand for extra departures, but that's unlikely given the current financial problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭richard2010

During weekday morning rush there are 4 buses from Portmarnock to Rathmines. During the evening weekday rush there are 4 buses from rathmines to Portmarnock.

As mentioned before the 142 provides a link for commuters from Portmarknock to Rathmines. It should be noted that prior to Swords Express and the re-routed 41X, the 142 was only the bus route that served the Holywell estate in Swords.

The morning buses generally (although not guaranteed) will return as 83 or 140's to Harristown as mentioned. They are operated by Universal boards (I am open to correction on this) which means they can turn up anywhere however in general you will see them on 41/41c services in the mid morning.

I don't know how they operate from Harristown to Rathmines for the evening services but I would hazard a guess and say they operate as extras on the either the 83 or 140 or possibly as Out of Service depending on when the evening duty starts.

I hope that answers you question as to the validity of the route!

Thanks
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I think,if memory serves me right,the 142 was originally intended as a full time route intended to make full use of the DPAT (Port Tunnel).

However AFAIR,some objections were raised in relation to Licencing and unfair competition issues with the route being cancelled,only to be reborn in its present form after some high-level Political intervention.

As a semi-Express route with it's present alignment,and astute marketing,it has the capability to be a winner,however I cannot really see too much effort being directed towards such stuff in the present climate.

If twere myself sittin in the Leather Backed Chair,I'd be whole-hoggin it and pushin for a Swords-Port Tunnel-Sandymount-Blackrock-DunLeery alignment...build it and they will come !!!

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I don't know how they operate from Harristown to Rathmines for the evening services but I would hazard a guess and say they operate as extras on the either the 83 or 140 or possibly as Out of Service depending on when the evening duty starts.

Yeah, they're an 83. When the 83 was dominated by RVs, you could tell the 142s-to-be by being low floor buses operating to Kimmage, usually VGs.

A substantial amount of people get on outside Camden Court Hotel/Bleeding Horse in the evenings.

Advertisement