Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wearing this to a wedding?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 chubchub

Personall I would say no. U dont think cream looks well for a wedding

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

I would advise against.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

Has anybody seen any nice dresses/outfit that would be suitable instead???

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Too close to white for me, and possibly too short (though it's hard to judge without seeing it on a model).

Coast is considered cliched but they do have lovely dresses. For instance, I wore this dress recently to a family wedding.

2224814598.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭tomboylady

I've been to two weddings in the past six months. I got one dress in Debenhams, and the other in Monsoon. Usual spots but both were really lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Definately not a dress to wear to a wedding.
    The coast dress above is much more suitable!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

I've been to quite a few weddings recently, and I was completely surprised at the number of girls who wore cream to the summer weddings. I think 6 out of 10 (excluding the bride) were wearing white in one photo! I think it really depends on where you're from and the bride, as well as how close your relationship with her is. I know one or 2 of my friends who'd be really insulted if anyone wore white/cream to their weddings, but others have absolutely no problem with it.

A few years ago, I had to go to one of my best friend's wedding which took place just 2 weeks after a family bereavement. I'd had no time to get to the shops to look for a dress, and ended up having to wear a cream dress (was the only one I had that would fit me). I was absolutely mortified, but to try and 'camoflage' it, I wore a bright coat over it, and used accessories to make it look less 'cream'. In the photos it didn't look in the least bit 'bridal' and didn't stand out for the wrong reasons. It just depends on the type wedding you're attending.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

• Registered Users Posts: 16 starmix08

Have to say I agree with most of the posters, I wouldn't wear it. Better safe than sorry, you don't wanna annoy anyone on their big day!! Some lovely other suggestions above tho...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Tayla wrote: »

I have seen wedding dresses with similar beading on them so I definitely wouldn't be wearing that dress to a wedding.

OP there are other, more suitable dresses in shops now, have another look around and avoid cream unless you know the bride and know she won't mind if you wear it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

dudara wrote: »
    Too close to white for me, and possibly too short (though it's hard to judge without seeing it on a model).

Coast is considered cliched but they do have lovely dresses. For instance, I wore this dress recently to a family wedding.

2224814598.jpg

I was in Coast yesterday and spotted this dress. Its gorgeous. Worth serious consideration OP. The fabric in particular is really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭xalot

OP I really wouldn't wear that dress. I'd go mental is someone wore that to my wedding - though I'll admit that's very shallow of me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

Personally I wouldn't care less whether a girl coming to my wedding was wearing white or cream, but I know a lot, if not most, brides consider it a no-no so probably best to steer clear OP- which is a shame cos I think that dress is fabulous.

I think that Coast dress is really lovely and very appropriate even though it's not the type of style I would go for personally myself.

Would you consider either of these:

Similar style to the topshop one (although maybe a bit short):

image1xl.jpg
    http://www.asos.com/ASOS-Petite/ASOS-PETITE-Exclusive-Embellished-Collar-Jacquard-Dress/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=2446128&SearchQuery=Embellished&Rf900=1465&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=200&sort=3&clr=Black

281303401?$zoomPopup$&hei=414&wid=979

http://www.newlook.com/shop/womens/dresses/ax-paris-black-laser-cut-skater-dress-_281303401

276465001?$zoomPopup$&hei=414&wid=979

http://www.newlook.com/shop/womens/dresses/te-amo-black-crochet-skater-dress_276465001

Or something more simple but that you could add bling/embellishment with jewellery and accessories:

83440353_VT.jpg

http://shop.mango.com/IE/p0/mango/clothing/dresses/cocktailparty/mesh-panel-dress/?id=83440353_02&n=1&s=prendas.vestidosprendas&ie=0&m=&ts=1364482065402

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Reiss also do lovely dresses which you could wear to a wedding. Steer clear of cream OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

I think Natalie Cassidy was spotted wearing the same / similar dress today

Thanks for all the helpful replies ladies! I think I will leave the dress because the last thing I would want to do is insult the bride in some way! Natalie Cassidy does nothing for that dress I think. I think the Coast dress is pretty but Im not sure if I would feel comfortable in it. The Asos dress is lovely but can you wear black to a summer wedding?
    I tried on a few dresses today and i saw two lovely peplum dresses one in purple and the other is a blue/Navy.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭blondie29

I've been to lots of weddings in last few years & have seen lots of girls wearing cream dresses.

I wore cream peplum knee length last year to wedding & accessorised with blue shoes bag & jewellery. Nobody batted an eye lid.

I'm engaged & cudnt care less if someone turned up in cream/white dress. I think so long as it's not long.

I think it's lovely OP. If u don't feel the bride will be angry wear away!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

Natalie Cassidy does nothing for that dress I think. I think the Coast dress is pretty but Im not sure if I would feel comfortable in it. The Asos dress is lovely but can you wear black to a summer wedding?

I'd definitely think it's ok to wear black to a summer wedding- I know some people might think it's kinda dark but in fairness it could be lashing rain or cold in this country so I wouldn't worry about it. And even if it's a bright sunny day, it's a short sleeveless dress so you wouldn't be all covered up or anything- plus the embellishment brightens it up anyway.

Natalie Cassidy wearing the jacket over that dress just takes away from the fabulous detail that makes the dress what it is!

Thanks for all the replies! I bought a dress today which I am in love with and I got a dramatic fascinator with big feathers!! I am not sure on what to wear with it. Should I avoid wearing a small black shawl? I don't want to look OTT with the headpiece. Also should I just wear black peep toes or can I go nude? :)

Is it not a no-no to wear black to a wedding?

I've always found weddings a nightmare - no white, no cream, no black (I thought), and then the fact that if you buy a high street dress, someone else might well be wearing it too (happened to me once).

I now just get 'vintage' type dresses from markets and dress them up with nice accessories. I know no-one else will be wearing it, they have a wider range of colours than on the high street and nice prints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭tomboylady

I wore black to a wedding last year... it was a last-minute invite and I literally had nothing else. I accessorised with red though, shawl etc which brightened it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Thanks for all the replies! I bought a dress today which I am in love with and I got a dramatic fascinator with big feathers!! I am not sure on what to wear with it. Should I avoid wearing a small black shawl? I don't want to look OTT with the headpiece. Also should I just wear black peep toes or can I go nude? :)

I'd possibly go black for the shoes. The colour isn't really a 'nude' is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Sorry to hijack your thread OP but I also happen to be considering that same dress for my cousins wedding in May.

I agree however about the colour, but am considering getting it dyed professionally.

How would you all feel about that same dress in a light, dusty pink, a pastel muted green or a light grey? Or is it still totally out of the question?

I'd possibly go black for the shoes. The colour isn't really a 'nude' is it?

Ya black would probably be the best option for me. Do you think I should wear a little blazer or a shawl with it? Or should I leave it. :)

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack your thread OP but I also happen to be considering that same dress for my cousins wedding in May.

I agree however about the colour, but am considering getting it dyed professionally.

How would you all feel about that same dress in a light, dusty pink, a pastel muted green or a light grey? Or is it still totally out of the question?

I guess you could do that. The thought never crossed my mind. It would be a bit of extra work for you! I think a light pink might be similar to the white, If you went a stronger colour maybe it would work but im not sure tbh!I just love the dress in white, i wouldnt want to ruin it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Is it not a no-no to wear black to a wedding?

Nah, black is fine IMO. White or cream are the only colours that may draw some ire from the bride (or other guests)!

Dolbert wrote: »
    Nah, black is fine IMO. White or cream are the only colours that may draw some ire from the bride (or other guests)![/Q

I think Jet black can look a bit strong for a summer wedding. I think the dress I got is perfect for a summer wedding..

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭ciaracp

Black is ok for a wedding imo...the best dressed lady at the galway races last year had a black lace dress!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Ya black would probably be the best option for me. Do you think I should wear a little blazer or a shawl with it? Or should I leave it. :)

I'd always wear a little jacket or something to the church. They can be drafty and it stops those horrible goosebumps from appearing. It can always be ditched later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 iluv2dance10

I would advise against also. Try TKMAXX!

Advertisement