Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil tank leak

Options
  • 25-03-2013 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Having gone sale agreed on a house recently we've had a structural survey completed which has identified a possible oil leak with the existing oil tank. As a result, we need to conduct a survey on the oil tank and foundations to ensure there is no oil contamination (apparently this may contaminate the neighbours foundations which can lead to complications down the line). Can anyone tell me who/where I can source someone to conduct a survey such as this and also, whats the cost with having something like this done? Any feedback is much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,239 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

I would advise you to contact the environmental department of your local authority. You need someone with clout to sign off on that before handing over your hard earned.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

dudwell wrote: »
    Having gone sale agreed on a house recently we've had a structural survey completed which has identified a possible oil leak with the existing oil tank. As a result, we need to conduct a survey on the oil tank and foundations to ensure there is no oil contamination (apparently this may contaminate the neighbours foundations which can lead to complications down the line). Can anyone tell me who/where I can source someone to conduct a survey such as this and also, whats the cost with having something like this done? Any feedback is much appreciated.

I would imagine at sale agreed you are not insured and as oil contamination clean ups can run to the price of a house i would tread very carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭TPM

Any oftec technician could survey the tank installation. But your problem is if the oil has leaked, the clean up can be expensive as already said, and if the oil has reached the house, the clean up could result in some of the house having to be taken down.
    To be honest if you cant get a guaranteed all clear from someone who is qualified and insured to give it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

As said the price of an oil clean up can be very expensive it can run into the tens of thousands , and can be very messy , you need to ask yourself if its really worth the hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭TPM

One other word of caution once you go down the environmental route there is no turning back. I dont know if you contact them regarding someone elses property who is liable for the costs, but it would be a bill you wouldnt want to get stuck with.
    Maybe you should get the seller to get someone to "show" the property is free from oil contamination

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 dudwell

Thanks for the feedback folks. One other question, does anyone know who should incur the cost in a situation such as this? Although we've gone sale agreed and handed over a holding deposit, there has been no contracts signed so I would have thought the seller is obliged to take a hit before progress?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Thanks for the feedback folks. One other question, does anyone know who should incur the cost in a situation such as this? Although we've gone sale agreed and handed over a holding deposit, there has been no contracts signed so I would have thought the seller is obliged to take a hit before progress?

I would contact your Solicitor ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Thujrog

Only your solicitor can answer this with any certainty. Talk to them before proceeding. I'm no expert on oil leaks, but other posters are mentioning 10s of thousands of euros. You need to be careful and only act with solid legal advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Cerco

It would be most unusual if your holding deposit were not "subject to contract". Therefore if you decided not to proceed then you would get your deposit back. Take it up with your solicitor. It is also possible that the costs would be covered by the vendor's insurer.

Advertisement