Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shower pump recommendation

Options
  • 25-03-2013 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭

Hey lads,

My brother in law somehow managed to get me a top of the range hansgrohe shower (worth around 700e) but he said i'll need to get a pump thats worthy of it !!

Can you someone tell me what i should be looking at and what i should avoid.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Grundfos are brilliant pumps

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

Stuart Turner or Grundfos with Stuart Turner being my preferred choice.

http://www.modernplant.ie/?OffersList=47

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

Grundfos in my opinion are streets ahead of the competition. But you need to match the Pump to the Shower taking account of the Flow Rates the Pump deliveries and the Shower can handle. Also make sure that you have sufficient Hot Water supply from your Tank. No point in using a pump that pumps 10 gals a minute on a 30 Gal Cyl. So your best bet is to talk to a Supplier who should be able to advise on your requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Fair point sky6, i am getting a new tank with increased capacity.

I'll be getting the shower this weekend and i'll be checking the exact requirements then.

Thanks for the input lads. I'll be looking for a Grundfos one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

If your in an appartment or have a combi cylinder you will need a negative head pump.

• Advertisement

It's a gaff!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭daver123

Slattsy wrote: »
    Hey lads,

My brother in law somehow managed to get me a top of the range hansgrohe shower (worth around 700e) but he said i'll need to get a pump thats worthy of it !!

Can you someone tell me what i should be looking at and what i should avoid.

Thanks.

Salamander are good aswell and are not that expensive

http://www.salamanderpumps.co.uk/home

daver123 wrote: »
    Salamander are good aswell and are not that expensive

http://www.salamanderpumps.co.uk/home

They are but Grundfos are cheaper in heat merchants at the mo.

2 bar Grundfos 175

2 bar salamander 226

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭freddyuk

Check for noise levels also as a decent volume pump is not silent. It will need to be mounted correctly to avoid noise transmission. I have a stuart turner 3 bar and it is brilliant with Plastic JG pipe all the way. There are a lot of good second hand pumps (only go for ST) as when a combi boiler is fitted, which is now a requirement, the pump ends up on Ebay and may be less than a year old.

I'll be looking for a 3 bar pump for sure lads.

Are they really that noisy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

If you buy a 3 bar pump you will need a new cylinder min 300 ltr.. You wont have the capacity otherwise. You will also need a fast flow shower waste as the shower tray will fill up very quickly.

This is the missunderstanding about high pressure shower valves. They are relativley cheap granted 700 euro might not seem it but the cost to fit them is expensive.

If you buy a 3 bar pump you will need a new cylinder min 300 ltr.. You wont have the capacity otherwise. You will also need a fast flow shower waste as the shower tray will fill up very quickly.

This is the missunderstanding about high pressure shower valves. They are relativley cheap granted 700 euro might not seem it but the cost to fit them is expensive.

Cheers.
    I'll ask the plumber about the shower waste flow.
    We are getting a bigger tank, not sure what it is now actually (whatever standard 3 bed semi is i guess) but plumber has already said get a bigger one. Must check what size he suggested, may have been 300lt.

Is there a noticable difference then between a 2.5 and 3.0 bar pump?

they are abit noisy ya. they all are cheaper ones are abit worse

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭dodzy

Slattsy wrote: »
    Cheers.
    I'll ask the plumber about the shower waste flow.
    We are getting a bigger tank, not sure what it is now actually (whatever standard 3 bed semi is i guess) but plumber has already said get a bigger one. Must check what size he suggested, may have been 300lt.

Is there a noticable difference then between a 2.5 and 3.0 bar pump?

Somebody is on a spending spree. A good Cheltenham perhaps ? :D

dodzy wrote: »

Somebody is on a spending spree. A good Cheltenham perhaps ? :D

Ha ha. One or two. Ya know yourself ;-)

Advertisement