Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debate: Michael Nugent (AI) vs John Waters

Options
  • 24-03-2013 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭

form Athiest Ireland's You Tube Channel
    "Does society need religious faith?"

as of 24/3, it starts with video no.7

you tube channel

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,433 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I can't swear I'll be able to endure a full debate involving His Wordiness, but I'll give it a go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I'll admit that I thanked that, went to watch the video, then turned it off before I heard anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,433 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I got as far as "exponge mystery and unknowability" and had to give in. I'll try again later.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,328 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I watched about 5 seconds of John Waters' closing argument when I saw Michael Nugent tweet it on Saturday. His opening line was "We need to be watchful of this thing we call 'reason'..."

24484603.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Penn wrote: »
    His opening line was "We need to be watchful of this thing we call 'reason'..."
    Presumably not the kind of contempt bred by familiarity.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,720 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Penn wrote: »
    I watched about 5 seconds of John Waters' closing argument when I saw Michael Nugent tweet it on Saturday. His opening line was "We need to be watchful of this thing we call 'reason'..."

24484603.jpg

In the video Waters seems to be on commission for every mention of the "bunker" such is the frequency that he mentions it as the clip nears the end.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Why on earth would Michael Nugent torture himself by getting into a debate with a pompous loony sh*tehawk like Waters? Are there war crimes you've committed somewhere you want to atone for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Will watch this now. Am dying to see Waters get challenged on his sh*te, or at least talk about religion outside of the confines of Catholic events and the Late Late Show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Sarky wrote: »
    Why on earth would Michael Nugent torture himself by getting into a debate with a pompous loony sh*tehawk like Waters? Are there war crimes you've committed somewhere you want to atone for?

He could always climb croagh patrick in the bare spogs if he was that pushed. At least theres a nice view at the top to look forward to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Kind of spoiled by the shabby wee chapel in the middle of it all tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

TheChizler wrote: »
    I got as far as "exponge mystery and unknowability" and had to give in. I'll try again later.

Good lord, he speaks like that too?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

I found myself wondering what I need from the grocery store in the morning after about 30 seconds of it.

Will have to try tomorrow. My patience for listening to delusional ideation was used up at work this morning and I don't get paid to listen to him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I am a mystery, to myself
    ah now, john, you're just preaching to the choir here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

Oh, poor oul John. He's just awful. I'm an atheist, but I actually have sympathy for both the idea that people can work within whatever hypothesis they want and the idea that "reason" is really just another hypothesis. But he manages to murder both ideas.

I managed about six minutes, and felt that was enough. I was more than a little stunned to hear him presenting the miracles as evidence of the divinity of Jesus. And I felt Michael was more than fair in allowing space for some credible Christian case to be developed. But there was just nothing coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

give 'em enough rope...

Advertisement