Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do you organise your music in your computer 'library'?

• 24-03-2013 9:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Dubwat

I'm a recent convert to classical music but have gotten stuck at organising classical music in my music player (musicbee) on my computer. Upto to now, I've just had a few 'Best Of' & 'Ultimate'-type CD's but I've started getting more selective now and I'm running into potential trouble. I'm new to classical music so forgive me if I use the wrong terms.

I was wondering how you guys organise things on your computer?

I prefer chamber music (cello, violin) & small orchestras to the large orchestral stuff. 'The Internet' told me that Bach was the 'best' so I bought a few of his CD's.

I have Rostropovich's Bach's Cello Suites, Heifetz' Bach's Violin Sonatas and Rampal's Bach's Flute Sonatas.

According to wikipedia, the work of the major composers are given Opus (or Op.) numbers. Apparently, Bach gets BWV numbers.

So do you organise by the composer (Bach's flute, violin, cello etc), or Op. numbers (Op. 1,2,3,4) , or lead player (Rostropovich 1,2,3,4) or what??

At the moment, I'm trying the Op.1,2,3,4 approach but that means I'm breaking up CD's into smaller units on my computer. But the Op (or BWV 1031) I'm listening to now is only 11 mins long!

So I'd be grateful if I could hear your approach to organising your classical music on your computer/mp3 player. Especially if you own music by the same composer but played by a different musician. I haven't gotten that far yet!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭purebeta

I always organise by composer, then CD/Work title.
    Organising by opus or bwv number is too hard to remember
    and each composer has a different system and amount of numbers so it can be a waste of time, and very confusing.
    It's all on my external HD so I don't really have a dedicated library/player.
    I just drag them over to Cog or VLC whenever I want to listen.

Title: Auf dem wasser (Barbara Bonney) Artist: Schubert
    Title: Auf dem wasser (Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau) Artist: Schubert

Don't care about op numbers
    My bach suites are organised by performer though which I would change around but each track title is too long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Dubwat

Thanks for the quick replies :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dlouth15

Like others I just put the composer in the artist field. The ensemble/conductor/performers etc go in parenthesis in the album name.

Artist: Johann Sebastian Bach
    Album: Bach: The Art of Fugue (Emerson String Quartet)
    Track: The Art of Fugue, BWV 1080: Contrapunctus 9

Not too worried about opus or catalogue numbers but I leave them there if cddb automatically puts them in for the CD. I don't bother splitting albums.

I use Banshee on the computer which allows searching on substrings within any of the fields. I can search for "BWV 1080" if I wish and it will immediately find all tracks with that in the track name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

I don't. I've gigabytes of complete mayhem. I unfortunately no longer have time to organise this stuff.

• Advertisement
Advertisement