Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music Sight Reading

Options
  • 24-03-2013 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hi all, I only found out this was part of the practical today and Im kind of freaking out! What do you do, clap out a piece of music? Do you bring the music with you to use or is it provided by the examiner? Please help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Hi all, I only found out this was part of the practical today and Im kind of freaking out! What do you do, clap out a piece of music? Do you bring the music with you to use or is it provided by the examiner? Please help!

Well, it depends on the type you want to do. If you are quite proficient on your instrument, or a member of an orchestra or a place where you often meet unseen music I'd HIGHLY recommend doing the sightreading piece. It's a short melody given to you by the examiner, completely unseen to you and you have to play it back to them. They are extremely easy. I did that last year for my exam and I got an A1 in music. Easiest 20 marks going for the LC anyways!

You could also do the clap back rhythm or sight-rhythm. I don't know much about either of those seeing as they are harder (in my opinion) to the sightreading piece [well, I was so used to sight-reading anyways I found it simple (I play classical violin (with an orchestra) and clarinet(with a concert band) so I had pieces thrown at me from a young age!].

If you are fluent on your chosen instrument, I'd definitely recommend the sight-reading. You can find past samples here and if you need any more help with LC music I'd be happy to answer any questions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

the sight reading is really, really easy for instruments like flute (mine) and violin, which only read one line. However those who play piano in my class were advised not to do it as it can be much harder. They're all doing sight-clapping. So really it depends on what instrument you play, and how confident you are. You can find sample sight reading on the SEC website here http://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=ex&sc=mc if you want an idea of the standard.

Advertisement