Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of Running an aquarium tank

Options
  • 24-03-2013 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭

Hi i was thinking of buying a fish tank for tropical fish. i see they would need a filter and heater so would they be expensive to run on ESB. Im only thinking a 60ltr tank.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Denise90

None of the equipment consumes too much energy really. A 60L tank running on basic lights and heaters will barely make a dent in your electricity bill, just make sure you stick the lights on timers.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭cyberblade 918c

slight hijack - sorry op.

Often wondered the same ... have a vision 260 heated to 22 degrees with an external fluval 305 external filter, mostly use an small LED strip light in the evenings..

any ideas what is would add to electricity bill ??

thanks !!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Electricity in Ireland costs roughly 20C per KW per hour. So if you have something that's using 1000W it will cost 20c per hour to run.

Things like the filter and lights can be accurately calculated because they're on for a set period of time but the heater can vary a bit because its on a thermostate and depending on the amount of work it needs to do to get the water to tempreture will determine the time it's on for.

Hope this helps a bit.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

My 300l tank cost about €50 every two months

Advertisement