Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly fishing at night

Options
  • 24-03-2013 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Is fly fishing in rivers for trout better in the night than it is during the day?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

toof wrote: »
    Is fly fishing in rivers for trout better in the night than it is during the day?

It's not really a question of it being better or worse. Different times of the year, different fly hatches, different trout feeding patterns will all have influence.
    A summers evening can give great fishing on spent olives and then sedges on through dusk into the dark.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Fishing at night can be brilliant for sea trout, on many rivers its the best time to fish for them. Brownies will also feed well into dark if there is a hatch on, which tends to happen on warm summer nights. Sedges in particular start to hatch in the late evening and will provide sport well into the dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

agree with zip i always found sea trout is better at night...

On the lakes, bubble and fly and i used always use the white moth.. deadly...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Theres an old fishing analogy that one should not start to fish for sea trout until the bats come out. Personally I'd leave it later still.

I've often fished for seatrout until the sun started to come up and have taken trout right up until this.

For brownies I would say similar. While there are rivers where the trout will die down after the hatch, on many others the bigger trout will start to come on after dark. If the water is warm, brown trout will take throughout the night.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Dragging a big sedge across the water at night can attract big trout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 deceger

i would agree with pullandbang ,i have caught some great trout fishing sedges at nite.i find the flat clam water better than the streamy water.i think the big trout are big cos they only feed at dusk/dark

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭con___manx1

larger size fly's are better for sea trout at night.

Advertisement