Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vat qualifying cars

Options
  • 24-03-2013 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

I heard it's possible to buy a car with a vat receipt.
    A car that has never been privately owned.
    Usually these would 'nearly new' be ex-fleet or ex-rental.
    The advantage obviously being that a company could buy one for business purposes 'write off' the vat element.
    Is this true?
    And if so, any leads on how to source these cars?
    Cheers.

ps. I'm talking specifically about cars (not commercials)

I know this exists in the UK. I heard that they exist in Ireland too.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Can only claim VAT back on a Commercial vehicle AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

afishyfish wrote: »
    I heard it's possible to buy a car with a vat receipt.
    A car that has never been privately owned.
    Usually these would 'nearly new' be ex-fleet or ex-rental.
    The advantage obviously being that a company could buy one for business purposes 'write off' the vat element.
    Is this true?
    And if so, any leads on how to source these cars?
    Cheers.

ps. I'm talking specifically about cars (not commercials)

I know this exists in the UK. I heard that they exist in Ireland too.
    You will only be able to right off 20% of the VAT on a passenger vehicle, if it meets certain criteria.

Only cars that end up as used VAT qualifying vehicles in Ireland are ex. Rentals. More likely to find VAT qualifying cars in the UK, but it seems more and more over there are margin scheme vehicles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

R.O.R wrote: »
    You will only be able to right off 20% of the VAT on a passenger vehicle, if it meets certain criteria.

Only cars that end up as used VAT qualifying vehicles in Ireland are ex. Rentals. More likely to find VAT qualifying cars in the UK, but it seems more and more over there are margin scheme vehicles.

Just to clarify in case people get the wrong idea, it's 20% of the VAT element....

The amount of people I've had confused by this is unreal!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭afishyfish

Thanks guys. Much appreciated.

Advertisement