Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working before applying for back to education allowance?

Options
  • 24-03-2013 1:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

I have applied to Tinity, UCD, Dun Laoghoire etc to do a degree in psychology in September, I have been getting a social welfare payment for one year, but had a gap in the middle of 4 months when I was living and working in Canada.
    My question is, I've been offered some work, but how much can I work and still be eligible for a back to education allowance in Sept? Can I work part time until then? Are there any other grants I should look into? I'm 35, back living with parents, never did a degree before.
    Cheers in advance for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,980 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

abceire wrote: »
    I have applied to Tinity, UCD, Dun Laoghoire etc to do a degree in psychology in September, I have been getting a social welfare payment for one year, but had a gap in the middle of 4 months when I was living and working in Canada.
    My question is, I've been offered some work, but how much can I work and still be eligible for a back to education allowance in Sept? Can I work part time until then? Are there any other grants I should look into? I'm 35, back living with parents, never did a degree before.
    Cheers in advance for any help.

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/353_Back-to-Education-Allowance.aspx
    For third level courses you must have been getting a qualifying social welfare payment (see above) for 9 months (234 days of unemployment*). You must be getting the qualifying payment immediately before you start the course.
    *If you are getting a jobseeker's payment, each day you are unemployed, except Sunday, is counted as a day of unemployment.

Satisfying the qualifying period

You do not have to have been getting your qualifying payment continuously. Periods spent on other relevant social welfare payments (or getting credits or in short-term employment) that are not broken by more than 12 months (52 weeks) can be used to determine whether you satisfy the qualifying period criteria. You must always be getting a qualifying payment immediately before starting your course.

It depends

If you are claiming for one year then you would have 312 days claims - (sundays are not included)

Assuming you were away for 4 months then you have roughly 8/12 of 248 days so you should meet the qualifying period

You can work 3 days per week and claim Jobseekers allowance at the same time. If you work more than 3 days a week it will knock you off JSA and make you ineligible for BTEA

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭abceire

Cheers. I find it hard to figure out the info on the sites.

Advertisement