Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8Radio.com

Options
  • 24-03-2013 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭

New alternative station coming on stream in the next week from the founder of phantom fm. Saw it in journal.ie but can't post the the link.

Looking forward to giving it a listen, fingers crossed its not just ads and talk. What I'd give for an Irish version of bbc radio 6!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

It's actually 8Radio.com, website is now live with transmission starting in Dublin, Cork and Limerick on 30th March

They're streaming tracks on the website now that would be the sort of thing I want from a radio station, so looking forward to it!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Everyone give this a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

lordgoat wrote: »
    Everyone give this a go.

I'm on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭dave13

Liking it so far

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭roll

and pearl is on sunday morning! that's worth registering on boards.ie for!!!

• Advertisement

On the air now on 94.3 in Dublin, good mix so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Yeah, just had it on in the car there. Sounds decent enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Can't beat hearing franz Ferdinand at 9am on a Saturday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Liking this.
    Thanks for the heads up folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Logged on tonight to hear a Smog tune, good stuff :D

Thanks for the tip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

Good opening weekend. Really hope they're able to go somewhere with this one.

Can't beat hearing franz Ferdinand at 9am on a Saturday

Not to be a thread Nazi or anything, but could you change the title of the OP to 8radio.com?

Yeah, enjoyed the first weekend of it, got my Shazam app going for the first time in ages which is what I want from the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Not to be a thread Nazi or anything, but could you change the title of the OP to 8radio.com?

Yeah, enjoyed the first weekend of it, got my Shazam app going for the first time in ages which is what I want from the radio.

Thanks on both counts :). Mods could you swap the 8 to the beginning of the title?

I'm one of the three principals behind 8Radio.com having previously worked at Phantom and various other places. First weekend on FM done, preparing now for weekend 2 and the expansion of the web service.

Anyway, apart from the introductions and the thanks, there is a point to this post.

We're struggling to track down some 1990's/early 2000's Irish stuff that we want to add to the playlist. The big bands (Frames, Juniper, Microdisney etc) are easy enough but a lot of the smaller bands are proving more difficult. I used to have a lot of the tracks on CD singles but they are long since gone. I'm talking everyone from Dragonfly (Stupid, Harrington Street etc) to Cuckoo to Engine Alley to the Would Be's and whatever you're having yourself. Songs need to be in decent enough MP3 quality for broadcast.

Anybody have some stashed away?

Any 8Radio.com related questions, feel free to put them up here.

Simon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

SimonMaher wrote: »

Any 8Radio.com related questions, feel free to put them up here.

Simon

Any plans to stretch your broadcasts as far as Galway Simon?
    I can get ye on the net but would like to tune in on the radio when needed.
    Loving the tunes so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Ha ha yeah I was thinking I must change if poss. Listened this weekend, grey to her something different at the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

mikom wrote: »
    Any plans to stretch your broadcasts as far as Galway Simon?
    I can get ye on the net but would like to tune in on the radio when needed.
    Loving the tunes so far.

Mikom:
    There's a free app for both iphone and android, so you can listen on the go, as long as you have a smartphone i guess.

For Simon:
    I only got to listen to a few hours over the weekend but enjoyed it (Sat afternoon i think). I listened all day yesterday in work too.

How does weekdays work at the moment? is it just a playlist running or is there someone there playing tracks but not speaking?

It felt like a mix of Phantom / Nova / Zenith, in that there are some good new tracks, some classics, and some long lost or album tracks.

What's important to me (at least) is that all the DJ's have their own take on it and get to showcase their own personal tastes.

With some other stations it doesn't matter what time you turn the radio on because you're pretty much going to hear the same stuff. This is why i don't listen to Irish radio that much anymore.

Imagine having an Irish station in the same vein as BBC6 Music !!

Best of luck with it.

Advertisement