Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rubgy rule question

Options
  • 23-03-2013 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

Just wondering when a team knocks the ball on and a member of that team secures the ball why doesnt the referee blow the whistle straight away when there is no advantage to the other team. Maybe im wrong but Ive noticed a few times the ref allows play to go on for a few seconds and then blows up. Is there any reason for this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

cant edit title ffs :o

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Usually they do. The only reason I can think of why they might be slower to blow up is that the player hasn't secured the ball fully so the team with the advantage may still be able to get it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,054 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

m.j.w wrote: »
    Just wondering when a team knocks the ball on and a member of that team secures the ball why doesnt the referee blow the whistle straight away when there is no advantage to the other team. Maybe im wrong but Ive noticed a few times the ref allows play to go on for a few seconds and then blows up. Is there any reason for this?

Before play is ended, a referee will give play a few seconds to evolve before making a call. That team who knocked on could throw a hospital pass that makes some ground back or they may give away a penalty; you never know for sure till it happens so you give it a chance to see what if.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Depends on how much McCaw is paying the ref

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I can remember Ireland playing a SH team in Dublin and something along these lines happening. I think the opposition knocked on, recovered possession and then Isaac Boss intercepted a pass and scored, but the ref had blown it up. The team went mad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

I can remember Ireland playing a SH team in Dublin and something along these lines happening. I think the opposition knocked on, recovered possession and then Isaac Boss intercepted a pass and scored, but the ref had blown it up. The team went mad!

Think it was against France in Croke Park for the first game there.

Steve Walsh was the ref and he knew he blew up too soon by the look on his face after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Risteard wrote: »
    Think it was against France in Croke Park for the first game there.

Steve Walsh was the ref and he knew he blew up too soon by the look on his face after it.
    That decision cost us a G.S. It was Geordan Murphy who intercepted/collected the ball friom the k.o. by Chabal. In the same game he also called a penalty advantage in front of the French posts over after about 5 seconds when when Horan quite rightly played on.

Advertisement