Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad music sceen

Options
  • 23-03-2013 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

why is it so hard to find good clubs around the midlands ? I went to the bridge house tullamore "worst spot every" on paddys day to be welcomed to "hey so sister" or some chart music bull****e, any way ,,,,,,,,, where is a good spot to hit up for edm around ireland festivals and stuff, and is there any clubs looking for a good dj to play there clubs? hit me up

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 196 ✭✭shed head

dear god!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Midlands psytrance is your ticket to bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dj junglejoe

whats this midlands psytrance sounds interesting ? when is it on what happens , sounds like good buzz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Joe Hart

Get out of the midlands ffs. Great spot to be if you want a wide selection of classic tractor magazines in your local petrol station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Derez a gr8 shuflin sceen in tullamor. juzt hang arond texaz or the tax ofice . none of dat chart rubbich m8!

• Advertisement

look at that young man go mad stuff ha ha, any one tries to get you to come on a night out in tullamore shoot them. joe lees is ok the owner tries to get good djs and good acts but know one gos disheartening old stuff,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

There's nothing in the midlands except for trees, goats & hills.

@tdv123 true words my man, few scum bags outside supermacs too just to piss us all off and ruin our nights

There's sheep too and some of them can start to look mighty purty after a few pints of cider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

There is no club scene whatsoever around the midlands. There's been a good influx of festivals over the years, with the Electric Picnic, Life, Garden Party, HiFi and Body & Soul all pinning their tents here at one stage or another. So we haven't been totally starved of music over the years. But it would be great to have a proper local scene, and not just relying on outside promoters setting up shop for the weekend every couple of years.

But it's supply and demand. There's just no market for it. It's easy to take the piss when you're from Dublin. But geography dictates everything. You have the best music scene, the best shops, the best universities, but you also have a lot of unsavoury elements that go hand in hand with being a capital city. And you have all of those things, both good and bad, for the exact same reason: population.

Capitals will always produce enough vibrant and committed individuals to get the ball moving, and that's certainly true of Dublin, and to a lesser extent Cork. It's even true for some towns in the midlands; the occasional hotel function room belting out techno is testament to that. But the amounts of people involved make it uneconomic and impractical to run 'proper' nights, or book established artists, etc. I know you're only taking the piss, but if you think people around here are actually more uncultured then I'd advise you to take a walk around Temple Bar on a Saturday night.

• Advertisement

ThirdMan wrote: »
    There is no club scene whatsoever around the midlands. There's been a good influx of festivals over the years, with the Electric Picnic, Life, Garden Party, HiFi and Body & Soul all pinning their tents here at one stage or another. So we haven't been totally starved of music over the years. But it would be great to have a proper local scene, and not just relying on outside promoters setting up shop for the weekend every couple of years.

But it's supply and demand. There's just no market for it. It's easy to take the piss when you're from Dublin. But geography dictates everything. You have the best music scene, the best shops, the best universities, but you also have a lot of unsavoury elements that go hand in hand with being a capital city. And you have all of those things, both good and bad, for the exact same reason: population.

Capitals will always produce enough vibrant and committed individuals to get the ball moving, and that's certainly true of Dublin, and to a lesser extent Cork. It's even true for some towns in the midlands; the occasional hotel function room belting out techno is testament to that. But the amounts of people involved make it uneconomic and impractical to run 'proper' nights, or book established artists, etc. I know you're only taking the piss, but if you think people around here are actually more uncultured then I'd advise you to take a walk around Temple Bar on a Saturday night.

Get out to ****. The people in the midlands are the dregs of dregs. Anybody with a bit of go in them ****ed off long ago into the cities. Templebar would be a typical midlanders idea of Dublin nightlife.

The tows in the midlands are rough as ****. Athlone, Tullamore.

Joe Hart wrote: »
    The people in the midlands are the dregs of dregs.

Classy.
    Templebar would be a typical midlanders idea of Dublin nightlife.

When I'm in Dublin I avoid Temple Bar, similar to how I avoid my own town centre. They're both similar to each other in ways. That's the only point I was trying to make. I wouldn't judge Dublin or its people based on what I see in Temple Bar, no more than I would judge midlands people by what I see 'outside Supermacs'.

Anyway, I'm not interested in a slagging match. I'm 28 years of age, a little too old for deliberately insulting people. If the dregs of the dregs is how you view 300,000 of your provincial neighbours then fair enough, you're entitled to your opinion.

Good luck.

I'm older than you so I win that one.

Dublin nightflife is good and you have to go looking for the ****e. In the Midlands there is nothing but ****e. That is the difference. Any kind of techno night would no doubt be rammed with tinkers

I'm older than you so I win that one.

Not really. I can take a slagging as much as the next lad. But you're just being insulting for the sake of it. It would take a bigger man to say something intelligent, or at least make your argument in an intelligent manner. Rather than just calling midlanders (including myself) 'dregs' and 'sh1te'. Seriously man, you're a bit long in the tooth to be carrying on like that. But help yourself. You can count me out of this conversation.

Not really. I can take a slagging as much as the next lad. But you're just being insulting for the sake of it. It would take a bigger man to say something intelligent, or at least make your argument in an intelligent manner. Rather than just calling midlanders (including myself) 'dregs' and 'sh1te'. Seriously man, you're a bit long in the tooth to be carrying on like that. But help yourself. You can count me out of this conversation.

Give me your objective appraisal of the Midlands and tell me what I'm missing. I'll be openminded about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

whats the music scene like, anywhere in the country, apart from dublin?

Cork? Galway? Limerick?
    5 or 6 years ago there was a few places playing decent music in cork, havn't been living there in a while, but i think it's only the Pavillion that plays any breed of house/ techno,

used to live in Tralee, of all places, had Dave Clarke over twice a year, other proper big names playing every month, havn't been in that town in nearly 10 years, don't know what the music scene is like, but the town itself has gone to ****e i hear

Give me your objective appraisal of the Midlands and tell me what I'm missing. I'll be openminded about it.

I shouldn't have to explain to you that one sixth of this country isn't full of thrash.

I shouldn't have to explain to you that one sixth of this country isn't full of thrash.

From my experience it is. I spent a good year working in a bog village near Mullingar. Went on a night out in Birr once. Another time I hit up a "festival" near Tullamore and had to leave after a few hours such was the number of skobes. I haven't even mentioned the travellers that infest some of these towns.

There are nice people and I've met lots of them weer they live in Dublin having disowned their home towns.

I lived in Cork for about 2 years. To be honest it wasn't great at the time. Electric Underground used to throw some night in the Liquid Lounge at the time. But often times it was poorly attended. There used to be some big name DJs in the Savoy as well. Everyone from Sasha to Mr Scruff. But it's not a great venue. The sound was quite poor which used to kill it for me. There was other bits and pieces around as well but nothing regular. After I moved away I used to check the listings out of curiosity and things were definitely picking up a bit. Just my luck! But it's a cool place and I enjoyed my time down there nonetheless.

This is completely irrelevant, but there used to be an independent cinema there called the Kino, which used to show all sorts of world/indie stuff. It had torn seats, and fresh coffee with real mugs. So cool. Spent so much time in there. But it closed down when the recession kicked in. Sad.

feed the troll
    feeeeeed the troll

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Tbf, any dance event in the midlands is going to have an overwhelming whiff of knacker unless it's the the likes of Electric Picnic or some of the others you mentioned already. And a bomb set off in the likes of the Bridge House when they have one of their regular reality/soap star appearances would only benefit society as a whole.

From my experience it is. I spent a good year working in a bog village near Mullingar. Went on a night out in Birr once. Another time I hit up a "festival" near Tullamore and had to leave after a few hours such was the number of skobes. I haven't even mentioned the travellers that infest some of these towns.

There are nice people and I've met lots of them weer they live in Dublin having disowned their home towns.

Listen man, if you're replying for my benefit then don't. I'm sure you're a nice guy in the real world, but I'm just sick of listening to people's **** on the internet.

Listen man, if you're replying for my benefit then don't. I'm sure you're a nice guy in the real world, but I'm just sick of listening to people's **** on the internet.

Bad day? We're all sound pillheads here. You just need to get to know me better. We could start by giving me some recomendations for midlands visits. I'm always up for a few hotel breaks in new places. Quirky cinemas, cafes and all that sort of thing.

any dance event in the midlands is going to have an overwhelming whiff of knacker unless it's the the likes of Electric Picnic.

Any dance event in any county will have that element. I've seen that up and down the island. From Planet Love in Antrim to Global Gathering in Cork. Anyone remember what Creamfields was like in 2001? :p That was my first 'rave' as a bright eyed 16 year old, and some of the capital's finest had me on edge. But that was purely down to its proximity to Dublin. I've been at festivals in London and Barcelona and the same was true, albeit to a lesser extent.

Garden Party is one festival that will always stick in my mind. For anyone that can't remember it was was run by Bodytonic in 2006 and 2007. It was a small-scale boutique dance event held in Athboy. Decent line-up for both years (Booka Shade before they were huge, Donnacha Costello when he was huge, Carl Cox being huge). I enjoyed it both years, but the crowd was taken over on the second year by a fairly dodgy crowd. And I'm not pointing the finger, but judging the their accents they most definitely weren't from the midlands. There was just a completely different vibe, and although it never ran the next year, I don't think I would have went because of it.

But I take your point. I didn't come on here to defend the dodgier element in the midlands. I was just speaking about some of the socio-economic reasons why a decent club scene will never develop there, unless there's a wholesale shift in mainstream musical taste.

The local scaldies have messed up life festival for a few years now. SO bad that some poor unfortunate was hijacked and taken hostage in his own car all the way to the Galway.

The local scaldies have messed up life festival for a few years now.

I haven't been to Life, so I can't comment on it. But I'm sure it's not just the locals that have been causing trouble. For my money almost every festival in the country has suffered from large amounts of people from the nearest city. I noticed that at Planet Love in Antrim, Global Gathering in Cork and almost every festival near Dublin. I can remember the exact year that Oxegen started to go downhill, and it was the year that Snoop Dogg played and attracted a certain type of punter, mostly from Dublin. I'm not blaming that on individual cities, but it's just a consequence of having a concentrated population base.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Cork? Galway? Limerick?
    5 or 6 years ago there was a few places playing decent music in cork, havn't been living there in a while, but i think it's only the Pavillion that plays any breed of house/ techno,

used to live in Tralee, of all places, had Dave Clarke over twice a year, other proper big names playing every month, havn't been in that town in nearly 10 years, don't know what the music scene is like, but the town itself has gone to ****e i hear

Limerick's Macronite crew have been a roaring success down here. They've brought over the likes of Loefah, Tessela, Inigo Kennedy, Northern Structures etc over the last two years. The place is always packed and there's a great vibe in the crowd. Similarly, their D.I.E. student night is always packed and they had Girl Unit over in the last month or two.

Distraction is another night run in town which hosts, though it seems to be on semi-hiatus for the last while, since Bakers closed down last Autumn.

There are one or two more collectives around town as well.

The only thing is, and this comes back to someone's point about population, is that any collective can only put their nights on a monthly basis at best. There isn't enough people in Limerick (or money for that matter) to support any more. It's a pity but there is a great little scene down here.

Waterford is abysmal anyway. A good night out for me nearly always starts with the train to Dublin.

old gregg wrote: »
    Waterford is abysmal anyway. A good night out for me nearly always starts with the train to Dublin.
    funny that, i was nearly going to get the train down to waterford there paddys weekend, Marco V, shur why not?

• Advertisement

funny that, i was nearly going to get the train down to waterford there paddys weekend, Marco V, shur why not?

You'd get an occasional night where there's something on but months could go by and nothing. Plenty of clubs playing chart dance music to the scaldy gang every night of the week. A techno night might happen twice a year. Awful.

Advertisement