Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wages issue

Options
  • 23-03-2013 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I hope this is in the right thread, Mods feel free to move or delete if not suitable.
    I'm currently working part-time in a bar, I'm on the books, get a pay slip, everything is legitimate in that sense. My problem is, we're given our wages every weekend in cash, but for the past three weekends I haven't received mine, nor have some of the other staff.

This is not the first time it has happened, and on other occasions, I've been left without money. I had planned to give them my notice this weekend anyhow and what I am wondering is, can I tell the owner I will no longer work for free take the money I'm owed (80 euro) from the till or is it stealing?

It's a place that is known for this sort of thing, staff walking out and having full blown rows in the middle of service, some crazy stuff, generally unprofessional.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I'm my humble unqualified opinion taking money from the till without the owner's consent would be very much theft, and if caught you could face criminal prosecution (and the knock-on effects that a theft conviction would have on future employment). Just because you are owed a debt does not entitle you to help yourself.
    You don't mention it but have you even spoken to your employer on the matter? If so then imo you should consider the Employment Appeals Tribunal or a solicitor if you want advice on getting your entitlements.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭FreezeUp

Yes it's obviously stealing. Small claims court is your answer if you want your money...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

No, you cannot just take the money from the till, however justified. That would be theft.

I would write a letter (send it via registered post), detailing what you think is owed, and the dates. Request payment within 14 days or the matter would then be referred to NERA.

I would also get on to Revenue, and make sure you're tax compliant - i.e. PRSI, and tax paid (if relevant). Some more info on the Citizen's Information website too.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭FreezeUp

No, you cannot just take the money from the till, however justified. That would be theft.

I would write a letter (send it via registered post), detailing what you think is owed, and the dates. Request payment within 14 days or the matter would then be referred to NERA.

I would also get on to Revenue, and make sure you're tax compliant - i.e. PRSI, and tax paid (if relevant). Some more info on the Citizen's Information website too.

Yup.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ItAintMeBabe

Thank you all for the feedback, very much appreciated :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement