Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back doors into psychology? :)

Options
  • 23-03-2013 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey,
    I'm just wondering if there are any back doors into psychology in UCD,UCC, Trinity etc
    I'm not able to get the points to go into it straight away and how do college transfers work :)
    Thank you so much for any advice would really appreciate it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

short answer - their isnt any backdoors
    its like wanting to go into medicine but you dont have the points and theirs no backdoors their either

i could be wrong though
    theirs this thing called a "youth adult programme" DIT do it and im pretty sure trinity college do it , its basicly the leaving cert all over again, except each subject is in modules, and if you pass all your modules for the year ( or obtain a certain overall grade ) you get to go striaght into the desired course of your choice(you get to pick a few from the list they give you in preference order) , then basicly from their your in 1st year psychology
    ive went about it that way not for psychology but for computers
    its not really a backdoor since its very hard to get into as it is, theirs an interview stage, you would have to tell them your dedicated to everything, tell them your hobbies etc...
    or you could just repeat the leaving cert and try again, no harm done :) when i finished the leaving cert , i didnt bother going to college for 3 years :) lived on the dole,fas courses and some small work, not that i was lazy just i didnt have the money to go to college or the points needed to go haha
    i hope ya can find more ways but generally for areas of medicine or anything hospital related, if you want to work their and have a DR in front of your name, theirs rarely any shortcuts

ive heard of some private colleges which cost about 8grand a year, but the point requirements are MUCH MUCH lower, say medicine is 530 in a normal insititute , in a private college it could be 160, i think griffith college does this? cant be too sure but for that kinda money , you wouldnt want to drop out half way through the course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

Many of the Bachelor of Arts courses offer psychology as a subject choice. Might not be what you're looking for, but definitely worth a look if all else fails.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Bubbles93

Hey! Yes, into Psychology there is indeed :) But not to UCD, UCC or Trinity, you can rule them out without the CAO points needed trust me!!

I've always wanted to do Psychology but the points were too high and I was unsuccessful in getting a place. I did my leaving cert last June. I got offered courses in business that I knew I'd end up hating, all I wanted was Psychology. I found a one year FETAC level 5 course in Applied Psychology in Senior College Dun Laoghaire in Dublin.

http://www.scd.ie/Applied_Psychology_Course_Dun_Laoghaire/Default.282.html

The course covers a range of areas (Human Growth & Development, Child Development, Behaviour Studies, Applied Psychology, Statistics, Criminology, Communications and Work Experience.) It is a wonderful basis for further study in the area of Psychology.

The course has links with Swansea Metropolitan University in Wales, Napier University in Edinburgh Scotland and the Institute of Art, Design and Technology in Dun Laoghaire. All these options are for further study in Psychology. They also have links with Social Science and Arts courses in Maynooth, Cork and Galway if I'm correct.

So yes, there is definitely back routes into Psychology :) If you have any questions on anything I've mentioned or otherwise I'll be happy to help! I've gotten a place in Scotland for the 4 year BSc course in Psychology starting this September, and I only got 340 in my leaving, I couldn't be happier to have finally gotten what I want. However, it takes determination to get there.

But hey, just remember, where there's a will there's a way :)

P.S. Also, the University of Limerick are considering making links at the minute with FETAC level 5 courses, so maybe by next September there will be an opportunity available for a place there in Psychology too!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Maynooth offer Psychology as an Arts subject with the option of transferring into pure Psychology if you get the required marks after first year. I think it's the the lesser top 30 in the Arts class or everyone who gets over 60%

• Registered Users Posts: 34 zoeenya

Go for a FETAC Level 5 that has the matching code for whatever college you want to go to. I dont have a leaving cert and this is what I have done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 gruenchen

There is always the option to apply as mature student when ure over 23, if u would do like further education in a relevant field before like applied social studies or so and work in the area for a while u can always try again when ure 23 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Yomino66

Yup, there certainly are back doors into psychology!:)

You can always do an arts degree with psychology as a subject and then apply afterwards for a psychology HDip (which is basically a conversion course). In fact, you don't even need to do an undergraduate degree related to psychology in any way whatsoever. As long you have a bachelor's degree, you're eligible for these courses. I know of ones at UCC and NUIG and I think they're both two years long. Good luck!

http://www.ucc.ie/en/cka01/
    http://www.nuigalway.ie/psy/2_yr_h_dip.htm

Advertisement