Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Year Arts...whats next?

Options
  • 22-03-2013 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I'm a final year arts student, majored in Italian, sociology and political studies. No idea what to do next. Open to everything. Thought about applying for Masters in Occupational Therapy, Speech and Language Therapy, or going into Primary School Teaching. Applied for a teaching job in Dubai. Or should I just take a year out to 'find myself', but by doing what?? Would appreciate any suggestions or advice! Such a confusing time!!! :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

Hi! I am pretty much in the same scenario as yourself. I am in final year arts too (French and Spanish). For me, I have ruled out going straight into a masters programme. I think a lot of people decide to do them without any real idea of what they want to do with them. Personally, I would like to be a secondary school teacher. But, at the same time, it's very difficult to get into it and you'd need to be sure it's what you really want. To combat this, I decided to apply for a TEFL course and see if I'd like teaching. Also, you can travel with it. I also applied for graduate programmes like IBEC EOP, uploaded my CV to the likes of Paypal and Yahoo. If you google them with careers/recruitment, you should find out about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 memoryflower

Hey thanks for your suggestions! Yeah I think TEFL is probably the best route for me also. Your right about the masters, thing is if I got accepted anywhere I'd more than likely persuade myself into thinking that that's what I wanted! Best steer clear of them for a while! I looked into the other links too, interesting language opportunities with Yahoo. Again, thanks for your advice and best of luck with exams, I assume we're all in the same boat - library time! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭cogra10

Im the same, doing my in English and And Archarology. Haven't a clue what my next step is and lot of pressure on to have a plan of some sort. Im trying not to apply to a masters cos dont really wanna jump straight into one ideally find a job for the next year while trying to figure out what to do. However thats very unlikely as I have no experience and every job even basic want experience, so could be diving into a masters in Sept!

Advertisement